NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freeze frames/titles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wateringcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freeze frames/titles
    Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 11:48am
Does anyone know if this is acceptable in a spec script, and also how you would write this?

For instance:
BILLY leans down and swipes the boy's bag.

FREEZE FRAME
TITLE - BILLY

Is this the correct way to write it do you think? And also, is it too shooting scripty? One of the judges last time pointed out I included camera angles/editing decisions etc. and shouldn't. Is this just something you can't do in a spec script?
Sponsored Links

J_Fox View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 12:04pm
If adding the title is vital to the story or it's flow, I'd keep it. The freeze frame is a directorial/editorial decision and you'll probably get dinged for it. But, as always, if it furthers the story you can get away with breaking the "rules" a little bit. But yes, ditch ANGLE ON, etc. 
18SSC Ch3: Eat No Evil, Hear No Evil
18SSC Finals: Heads You Lose
~~~
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 12:16pm
I agree with J_Fox... unless it's critical to the story, leave things like that out. Titles, freeze frames, superimposed items, split-screens, etc. are directorial decisions. I can cite one example for you. I have a copy of the screenplay for Dude, Where's My Car? If you've seen the film, then you know when we first meet Jesse and Chester, the filmmakers did a freeze on each and inserted their names on the screen. That's not in the script. That was decided on during post production (maybe during production if the director visualized it while he was shooting). The script reads more effectively because your concentration isn't disrupted with a sudden FREEZE FRAME or TITLE. Every time the reader's attention to the main script is broken, the chances of it getting favorable feedback drop. That's been my experience, anyway.
wateringcan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wateringcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 6:37am
Cheers guys! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic