NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free to Post Our Stories?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inmedicalres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free to Post Our Stories?
    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 1:52pm
Hello! I looked through the FAQ and the first 10 pages of this forum looking to see if my question had been asked, so apologies if this is a common repeat. I received feedback from a forum member saying my story ought to be private or somehow password-protected or else I might be disqualified. However, the competition FAQ says:

"Q.  Can I post the story I create for this competition on my personal website or social media?  Can I submit it to other competitions?

A.  Yes.  Since you retain all the rights to the stories you create during our competitions, you are welcome to do whatever you like with them. "

Clarification, please? Is it okay that I posed my story on my personal Tumblr?

stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by inmedicalres inmedicalres wrote:

Hello! I looked through the FAQ and the first 10 pages of this forum looking to see if my question had been asked, so apologies if this is a common repeat. I received feedback from a forum member saying my story ought to be private or somehow password-protected or else I might be disqualified. However, the competition FAQ says:

"Q.  Can I post the story I create for this competition on my personal website or social media?  Can I submit it to other competitions?

A.  Yes.  Since you retain all the rights to the stories you create during our competitions, you are welcome to do whatever you like with them. "

I think there are two things in conflict here:

1. We are asked, as part of the contest terms, to not make our stories public until after the judging.
2. We are told, as part of the contest, that we always retain the right to our stories, and can publish them at any time, but that if we make them public before the scores are announced, we can be DQ'ed.

So if you want to publish it for your friends, and you keep it out of the public view, you should be fine. Use private links or passwords, or send them a USB stick of your story.

Just don't put it on the public web, not just yet, and don't get it published in any magazine or anthology until after the scores are announced.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

inmedicalres View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inmedicalres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Originally posted by inmedicalres inmedicalres wrote:

I think there are two things in conflict here:

1. We are asked, as part of the contest terms, to not make our stories public until after the judging.
2. We are told, as part of the contest, that we always retain the right to our stories, and can publish them at any time, but that if we make them public before the scores are announced, we can be DQ'ed.

So if you want to publish it for your friends, and you keep it out of the public view, you should be fine. Use private links or passwords, or send them a USB stick of your story.

Just don't put it on the public web, not just yet, and don't get it published in any magazine or anthology until after the scores are announced.

Thanks! Can you show me where we are told this? I couldn't find it anywhere on the website.
 Post Reply Post Reply