NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free Editing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelleckson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free Editing
    Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 8:01pm
Hello! I am currently taking classes towards an editing certificate, and am in need of a practicum project. This project can be anywhere from 500 to 3000 words, any genre, and will be reviewed by both me and an experienced instructor. If you are interested in some free editing, here's your chance! Let me know what you're working on and what kind of help you would like. 
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:35pm
Wow, that's really fantastic of you to offer. Do you only do screenplays? I have the text for a children's picture book that needs an expert to see if I've strayed from the age group with my choice of words.

I also have some flash fiction, creepy psyche shorts etc. Do you have a preference? I'm sure we have every style here and many writers that would love an edit.

No problem if your plate is already full or it's not the type of editing you're training in. I'm sure someone will come along shortly with the perfect project for you :-)

Cheers and good luck with your studies!
Shelleckson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelleckson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:24am
All of those sound great! The only thing I would check is the length and/or stage of the children’s book, since it does need to be a substantial enough project to require a few rounds of editing. But it can also be an excerpt of a longer work, such as a novel or screenplay. I’m most interested in books/book excerpts, short stories, memoirs, etc. but it could also be an academic paper, website content, news article, application essay, etc. Really, it can be anything you can dream up. 

I also have 30 classmates who are doing this exact same project, so if there are extra projects I can pass them along to the others.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 9:16pm
Hi, I think the children's story would work, it's 1600 words. That's quite long for a picture book but I'm making the pen and ink drawings super-detailed so there's all kinds of visuals for children to discover while the parent reads.

I also have 2 short stories that could use editorial chopping. They're all registered but I don't have any problem if they get shared around because none of them are in competitions or have been submitted yet. Both of those are first person, no dialogue.

I'll see if I can scare up some of the articles I've written too. They're mostly horticulture related. I used to run a website about Wildscaping and even after 10 years, I'd sometimes find a spelling error when someone requested a copy of one of the pages. It would be nice to have professional eyeballs take a look and maybe I could use them again, because the info in them hasn't changed.

The only screenplay I can offer is the one I did for this competition, it's my first. It's a bit of an odd duck because it has no dialogue again but it's a fun story, the title and logline are deceiving. I realize now that I should have hinted about the humour in the logline. Too late, lol.

If you're up for those ones, I can share with google drive or send them via email, whichever you prefer.

Thanks,
Tana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelleckson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:13am
The children's story sounds perfect. My email is steph.helleckson@gmail.com, which works for Google Drive. Go ahead and send me anything preliminary you'd like me to see, and I will send you the practicum overview and schedule, so you know what the timeline would look like. Smile

If you have projects other than the children's story, I'm happy to pass those along to other students in my class who might be interested!
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 10:32am
Hi, Email sent!
Hope they're helpful, Thanks!

Talia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 11:32am
That sounds so awesome. I sent you a private message.
cal_sherwood View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal_sherwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:39pm
Hello,

I have a short story (less than 1800 words) that could benefit from some good editing from some amazing, fresh new eyes.  How would I go about submitting this?
Cal Sherwood

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelleckson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 1:30pm
Hi Cal! 

I'm collecting these all now to send out to my classmates. Do you have a title for your short story, and do you know what kind of editing you need? Are you looking for someone to suggest changes to characters and plot, or someone to help with word choice and sentence structure, or someone to just clean up grammar and punctuation? 
MikeWG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 9:46am
Thanks for the information. I will definitely contact you on occasion. I mostly had difficulties with writing essays at the university. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it done. I found reviews https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/smartwritingservice/ and decided to consult with experts on my work. I would not have been able to present my arguments in the section.

Edited by MikeWG - 16 Apr 2021 at 3:01am
 Post Reply Post Reply