NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing to Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Do you write while listening to music?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [12.50%]
10 [62.50%]
4 [25.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:16am
LOL
aurora68 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Chris Messineo Chris Messineo wrote:

I always write to music.  I don't think I could write without it.  Recently, I have actually created an ITunes playlist for each piece I am working on and I fill it with music that fits the mood of the script I am writing.

Chris

We sometimes write with, sometimes without.  But our works in progress always have imaginary soundtracks, and once I've associated a song with a script, it will always bring that script to mind when I hear it.  It's kinda cool, I think.  And I like your iTunes idea -- maybe we'll try it.
2184pro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2184pro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:56am
Originally posted by aurora68 aurora68 wrote:

once I've associated a song with a script, it will always bring that script to mind when I hear it.  It's kinda cool, I think. 

There are certain songs I listen to when I want to mentally visit a script I haven't written yet.

In my mind's eye the rhythm of the song dictates the editing of an action scene. Eventually, I see the characters well enough in the sequence to create new scenes and the story progresses in my mind. That's how I get the key moments or major plot points.

It's a wild exercise for certain, but fun.
Check out my other videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=2184pro
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by 2184pro 2184pro wrote:

In my mind's eye the rhythm of the song dictates the editing of an action scene. Eventually, I see the characters well enough in the sequence to create new scenes and the story progresses in my mind. That's how I get the key moments or major plot points.

That is VERY coolSmile.
trike View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by 2184pro 2184pro wrote:

Originally posted by aurora68 aurora68 wrote:

once I've associated a song with a script, it will always bring that script to mind when I hear it.  It's kinda cool, I think. 

There are certain songs I listen to when I want to mentally visit a script I haven't written yet.

I do that, too.

I particularly like to use film scores to conjure up scenes.  I have an extensive collection to fall back on, suitable for almost every mood.  If I need something in the background, then I generally opt for Philip Glass' "Low Symphony."

Doug
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 3:10pm

Music is very important in film, and because of that, I want to say what the heck is played to my writing.

I associate music with the mood and it helps me figure out the scenes.  Whatever works, I guess.

Bill
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 5:50pm
Right now I'm writing to Schubert's Unfinished Symphony - I hope there is no correlation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12