NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screenplay Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Just wondering who's posting in the Screenplay Review?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
40 [88.89%]
5 [11.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshelden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2007 at 12:53pm
a week? i thought a day was enough.

i'll pay for that remark when the judging is done.
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2007 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by MassWriter66 MassWriter66 wrote:

I'd be curious to know the nuances of the law, because simply posting a script or story for review does not strike me as having published it. On top of that, 99 percent of the work submitted in these contests, no matter how good, would need to be re-written before appearing in a literary journal or getting the green light by a producer. A week isn't enough time to craft a polished, hole-free story or script.

Yeah it comes down to the meaning of "published" - and the journals want unpublished work - more than a legal issue it's an issue of possibly eliminating yourself from consideration. To me, published includes publishing on the web, particularly since this site just requires registration to view.

A week absolutely is enough time to craft a polished, hole-free short story! IMO.  Plus even a rewrite is a rewrite of that story. As far as short story challenge goes, I figure, I like to send my stuff out, why give myself a disadvantage right off the bat and elminate myself from consideration from most journals.

(this challenge is another thing entirely, I don't think the same situation applies and I'm not holding my breath to get any of my short scripts bought Smile)
dageezer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dageezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2007 at 2:26pm
I;m not going to post mine for a couple of reasons...

1- It sucks
2- It sucks

Really though, I wrote mine in less than an hour. I didn't hit the ending like I wanted too. The deadline was to close, I didn't give it a go over before I submitted it. I would have felt worse knowing I paid an entry fee and didn't send anything in. (I'm funny that way I guess)

Like 90% of the people that entered, I was hoping to get a genre I could at least compete in. I didn't. It had me so far out of my norm that I'm amazed that I got 6 pages of a bad story.

Not that it's a bad thing, every writer, new and old should step out of the comfort zone once in a while just to keep all the braincells alive.

Then again I could post it to show how not to write a short.
deny everything, admit nothing, make counter accusations
DMC_2007 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMC_2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2007 at 2:35pm
    C'mon, post it. What is bad to you is probably brilliant to me.

durden7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote durden7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2007 at 2:38pm
    I have no reason not to. It's only 15 pages, so no one is going to be putting up Casablanca. There will be some cool concepts, however, and lots of shorts that I'd want to see as full length features.

Will be fun to see how other people dealt with their topic.
mcornetto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcornetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2007 at 3:22pm
So, we'll have at least 37 scripts to read.  Sounds like fun.
I'll show you mine...              Heat 20 Comedy/A Chef   
DMC_2007 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMC_2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2007 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by mcornetto mcornetto wrote:

So, we'll have at least 37 scripts to read.  Sounds like fun.

Is that out of 610? I wonder how many scripts were actually submitted. Will we know that number?

ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2007 at 5:39pm
dageezer, thanks for sharing that.  If it's not a fair representation of your writing and don't have much to gain from getting comments on something you know is "broken", then I could see why you might not.  Still, you might gain something by some of the comments you receive.
(Hell, you'll probably win the contest.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123