NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Must-See L.A. Sites

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Must-See L.A. Sites
    Posted: 18 Jul 2007 at 10:33am
I am planning a trip to L.A. to check out USC, UCLA, LA Film School, Chapman, and Pepperdine as well as do some sightseeing.  What are your suggestions?

Thus far I plan on visiting American Cinematheque, Hard Rock Cafe/Universal Studios, Sony Picture Studios, Museum of Television and Radio, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood & Highland/Kodak Theatre, Grauman's, Wax Museum, Guinness World Records, Shrine Auditorium, Tar Pits, Walk of Fame, LA County/USC Hospital (it was used for establishing shots in General Hospital), Warner Bros., Capitol Records, Downtown LA, exterior used for Melrose Place/site of Manson murder, Harper House, Brady Bunch House, 90210's exterior for Brandon and Brenda's house, Halloween filming locations, Roosevelt Hotel, Beverly Hills Hotel.

Any great restaurants (nothing over the top)?  Sites?  Museums?  Great tours?
American Cinematheque
nippyfan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nippyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2007 at 4:17am
    You have to get a shot under the hollywood sign..staight up Beechwood Canyon.
Nick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2007 at 10:06am
I can't wait to see the Hollywood sign - it's so iconic.
Heat 25: Fantasy/Clouds
GoGirlGo20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoGirlGo20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2007 at 7:03pm
I don't know if it's your thing or not but I really enjoyed the Haunted Hollywood Tour.  It's not for everyone but it was pretty cool hearing the old Hollywood stories and I got to see Marilyn Monroe's house (oddily enough she lived just around the corner from Bundy Drive and OJ).  It's a unique look at hollywood.  The tours leave from Chinese Mann Theatre each night, I think.
Enjoy.
ontario View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 12:47pm
    I've been to Los Angeles twice, and had a great time, pretty much all the places you listed are the essentials. You have to take a drive along the(101) pacific coast highway up to Malibu, the scenery is amazing and you'll get great picture shots of the ocean, another location for great pictures(if you are planning on taking some) are the hollywood hills, all I remember is the long winding road going up, and I mean up, the view of Los Angeles from atop this site was awesome. If you want some good tours, the Hotels offer them at a fairly good price.
Enjoy your trip.
Jack
Mugatu View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

I can't wait to see the Hollywood sign - it's so iconic.

Nick:

If you really want to see the sights in Hollywood, start with: The Frolic Room (Bar); Boardner's (Bar); The Viper Room (Club); The King King (Club); Mann's Chinese Theater (the large, main room) Movies); 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica (Mall); Venice Beach Boardwalk (Beach); just to name a few.

The Hollywood sign is probably best seen from afar. You can also, at least you used to be able to, hike up to the ruins of Errol Flynn's house. It's worth the trudge. Bring some beer, it's no good without having a few cold ones while you're there.
Mugatu View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 8:59am
PS:

Try The Sunset Grill burger stand on the Strip and find Jay's Jay Burgers somewhere near Echo Park or Los Feliz. They're little burger stands. I don't even know if they're still there, but worth it if they are.

Also, The Bucket in Eagle Rock (near Downtown). Amazing cardiostopper burgers the likes of which you've never had before.
kernokern View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernokern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 11:06am
If you ever get out towards either Glendale or Burbank, check out Porto's. It's a little Cuban place with great specialty desserts and sandwiches. Crazy Hook and the Dresden aren't bad places to grab a drink either.
buenosueno View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buenosueno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 11:19am
eat at versailles when you visit sont/parmount - it's right there on venice. carne con papas
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 8:29am
Want to party all day on Sunday afternoon with margaritas (as well as a full bar) and good food, live bands, and a huge outdoor patio with spray water misters for hot hotdays and a collection of west coast characters? Go to the Sagebrush Cantina in Calabasas. (San Fernando valley, just outside of Hollywood)

Sunday brunch is best on the West Coast- about 23.oo, but has just about anything you could think of to eat, including free champagne, oyster shots,and shots of flavored Stoli, and at 2pm, incredible bands begin until about 11 at night. The place rocks, and it's a real experience! Sundays on the Cantina patio are the stuff legends are made of. Cast of characters includes granny from down the block, your aunt martha, hippies, yuppies, cowboys, kids, football players,celebrities-- all the way to motorcyle gangs. By the time the bands begin, the patio is begining to fill, and when the huge patio reaches capacity, be prepared to rock the night away under the oaks. Springtime is not as crowded, as this places comes alive in the sun.. but still a happening.
And a good time is had by all.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/apr/25/cinco-de-mayo-weekend-at-sagebrush-cantina/

Edited by topangarose - 09 May 2008 at 12:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>