NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Sound of Silence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by ABEAR111 ABEAR111 wrote:

Personally, I think it's all one big crapshoot.   There are as many writers as stories out there and they are all looking for their shot.  Like anything else you have that one guy or gal who comes out of nowhere with the perfect script and shoots past everyone to the top, but for the most part we are all down here just trying to get noticed.  You have to have just the right script for just the right person who reads it at just the right time, then that has to happen ten more times as it heads up the chain to the person who can push the golden button for you.  So it better be perfect.  And, no offense, but the "take my script as it is or leave it the hell alone" attitude is guaranteed to get you script left the hell alone unless you are an established writer with a proven "hit" record or you've just written the next Star Wars Trilogy and if either of those were true, why would you be wasting your time reading this crap?

For every good script out there you have to figure there are at least a hundred if not a thousand horrible ones, so as long as I'm one of the best of the worst I might just have a shot.

glenn
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by gmercer gmercer wrote:

For every good script out there you have to figure there are at least a hundred if not a thousand horrible ones, so as long as I'm one of the best of the worst I might just have a shot.

glenn

We all have a shot, but me thinks they're pretty long.  Regardless, I figure most of you are like me, regardless of what happens, you'll get my pen when you pry my cold, dead fingers off of it...
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by ABEAR111 ABEAR111 wrote:

We all have a shot, but me thinks they're pretty long.  Regardless, I figure most of you are like me, regardless of what happens, you'll get my pen when you pry my cold, dead fingers off of it...

Write up to my dying day. You have to figure there are professional screenwriters out there and why can't one of us be one of them?

glenn
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 1:42am
Originally posted by gmercer gmercer wrote:

glenn

That's what I figure as well. If I allow myself to think about the business for very long I get discouraged (even Nicholl winning spec scripts don't sell! That's nuts). And then there are some horrible films being made.

I know I can write a horrible script!!! LOLConfused
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 4:00am

Part of the problem is the dumbing of America... I saw it when I played music.  I was around incredible musicians who lived 10 to a flat, graduated from Julliard, Berkley and/or Manhattan School of Music, yet they were subs on Broadway or summer concert series.

I decided I was not going to be a starving musician... and I will not be a starving writer, either.  I love the craft, and hope that I will be able to sustain a living doing exactly that - but...

I still have a lot to learn about screenwriting, it's only been 2 1/2 years for me.  I started writing short stories and plays many years ago, then moved to screenwriting with the 2nd Project Greenlight.

Good luck to all - looking forward to reading the 1st round scripts.
aurora68 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

What do you think about this deal with "Writer's Bootcamp" giving feedback after all is done.  Could be great or it could be like those guys who stand on the corner in the French Quarter trying to sell you a time share.  Just wondering - you know anything about them?

Writer's Bootcamp has a solid reputation.  My husband and I went to a freebie mini-bootcamp they had at the San Diego Film Festival a couple of years ago.  It was really informative.  We've also worked very closely with someone who used to teach there.  She's a really talented writer and a great teacher -- she writes for 'Entourage' and is extremely generous with her advice.  If the other teachers at Writer's Bootcamp are anything like her, the feedback will be worth having.
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 8:48am
Hey - I didn't post that bootcamp...

ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 9:33am
Originally posted by aurora68 aurora68 wrote:

What do you think about this deal with "Writer's Bootcamp" giving feedback after all is done.  Could be great or it could be like those guys who stand on the corner in the French Quarter trying to sell you a time share.  Just wondering - you know anything about them?

Writer's Bootcamp has a solid reputation.  My husband and I went to a freebie mini-bootcamp they had at the San Diego Film Festival a couple of years ago.  It was really informative.  We've also worked very closely with someone who used to teach there.  She's a really talented writer and a great teacher -- she writes for 'Entourage' and is extremely generous with her advice.  If the other teachers at Writer's Bootcamp are anything like her, the feedback will be worth having.

Glad to hear it, I had never heard of them before.  Now I can't wait to hear from them.  Thanks Aurora!
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 9:34am

Hey - I didn't post that bootcamp...

They probably are not going to take kindly to your questioning their veracity, Willie.

Edited by ABEAR111 - 27 Jul 2006 at 9:34am
trike View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 10:30am

I'm not a typical hollywood-style writer... I'm not big on fantasy, mystery, thriller, horror or suspense.

I'm more of a character driven, dialogue driven writer.  It's what I dig. 

The feature getting some interest - here's the logline: A cynical and disgruntled Cupid, tired of his thankless job, finds liquor, trouble and a few surprising definitions of love, in A Bar Called Elegante.

I see John Goodman as the Cupid character.  I just had an email today from a Story Developer from Humble Journey Films requesting it.

That sounds like an interesting idea, but why don't you consider it Fantasy?  Sure sounds like one to me.

(Unless you use "Fantasy" as shorthand for "Epic Fantasy," such as Lord of the Rings or Conan the Barbarian.)

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>