NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Sound of Silence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:52pm
Inktip is solid - I only got listed there because it was part of placing in one contest.

I try to enter contests that fit what I'm doing.  I don't write blockbusters; if it were to happen, it would be a lucky mistake.

There are many b.s. contests out there, ready and willing to take your money - as well as script consultants.  I don't care if a script conforms to someone's ridiculous rules... and I don't need to pay someone to tell me "you're talented - but it needs polish".

If you're honest, you know where you stand with your writing.  And you may be a wonderful writer with flowing & interesting dialogue - it doesn't mean someone will make your movie.

Look at some of the sh** that gets made - I'm amazed at the lack of quality of many films.  Same tired premise, rammed down our throats, over and over.

Okay, I just fell through my soapbox... excuse me... there are suds everywhere... I must clean up.

Enjoy,
Bill
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:57pm

No worries Willie,

I've said it before but one of the best parts of this forum is everybody's friendly critiques and advice.  Anything I can learn from somebody is a plus to me, and anything I know I'm willing to share.

glenn
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:13pm
When this round is in the books, send the script you are getting ready to market, and I'll send A Bar Called Elegante.  Comments are always welcome.

This forum is friendly and there is knowledge in all corners.

Bill
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:15pm
Glenn - when I use the word "you", I am speaking about all of us, not you, not me... meaning we may all be wonderful writers, but sometimes we write for ourselves and those who we pay to read our words.... Big smile
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

When this round is in the books, send the script you are getting ready to market, and I'll send A Bar Called Elegante.  Comments are always welcome.

This forum is friendly and there is knowledge in all corners.

Bill

When I'm finished my final rewrite/polish, which should be done in a week or two, I'll definitely send Rapid Eye Movement your way. Most of my readers are family and friends so any outside critiques are beyond helpful for me.

Thanks,
glenn
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:24pm
Glenn,

Your title sounds familar - what contest was it in?  Was it listed somewhere in moviebytes.com?

Bill
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:24pm

Glenn - when I use the word "you", I am speaking about all of us, not you, not me... meaning we may all be wonderful writers, but sometimes we write for ourselves and those who we pay to read our words.... Big smile

I didn't take it that way Willie but thanks - at times I think I'm a great writer but then at other times I'm in a funk and hate everything, I guess most writers are like that.

I'm really starting to see a progression in my work and starting to realize that maybe I am not too bad or at least have studied craft enough that I now know how to fake it.

glenn
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:47pm
Personally, I think it's all one big crapshoot.   There are as many writers as stories out there and they are all looking for their shot.  Like anything else you have that one guy or gal who comes out of nowhere with the perfect script and shoots past everyone to the top, but for the most part we are all down here just trying to get noticed.  You have to have just the right script for just the right person who reads it at just the right time, then that has to happen ten more times as it heads up the chain to the person who can push the golden button for you.  So it better be perfect.  And, no offense, but the "take my script as it is or leave it the hell alone" attitude is guaranteed to get you script left the hell alone unless you are an established writer with a proven "hit" record or you've just written the next Star Wars Trilogy and if either of those were true, why would you be wasting your time reading this crap?
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:55pm

I don't need to pay someone to tell me "you're talented - but it needs polish".

What do you think about this deal with "Writer's Bootcamp" giving feedback after all is done.  Could be great or it could be like those guys who stand on the corner in the French Quarter trying to sell you a time share.  Just wondering - you know anything about them?
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 8:56pm

Glenn,

Your title sounds familar - what contest was it in?  Was it listed somewhere in moviebytes.com?

Bill

Willie,

It was a quarter finalist in The Fade In Awards a couple years ago and also a quarter finalist in The International Screenplay Awards - I think that's what it was called - I think it's the Page Awards now. It wasn't featured on moviebytes but it was in one of the press releases that were sent out from the contests.

glenn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>