NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Sound of Silence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 6:41pm
Working does get in the way of writing... my head is filled with ideas that need some attention, but my 2 kids have to eat and I have to pay for gas as well.

Bill
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 6:55pm
That's why I'm selfish about my writing, my kids only need one meal a day which gives them the strength to push the car when we run out of gas - JK - I don't even have kids - I have neices which is nice, they can go home when thay get annoying - lol.
glenn
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 6:56pm
Willie,

Do you write features as well?

glenn
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:10pm

Yes - I'm getting some developer and producer interest in one.  I should write more shorts, the one I did write did very well in British Short and American Gem last year.

I'm not a typical hollywood-style writer... I'm not big on fantasy, mystery, thriller, horror or suspense.

I'm more of a character driven, dialogue driven writer.  It's what I dig. 

The feature getting some interest - here's the logline: A cynical and disgruntled Cupid, tired of his thankless job, finds liquor, trouble and a few surprising definitions of love, in A Bar Called Elegante.

I see John Goodman as the Cupid character.  I just had an email today from a Story Developer from Humble Journey Films requesting it.

I have 4 features on the back burner, looking for time - from where?  Who the heck knows.

Bill

gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

Yes - I'm getting some developer and producer interest in one.  I should write more shorts, the one I did write did very well in British Short and American Gem last year.

The feature getting some interest - here's the logline: A cynical and disgruntled Cupid, tired of his thankless job, finds liquor, trouble and a few surprising definitions of love, in A Bar Called Elegante.

Bill

Is that the same short you wrote for this contest last year?

A Bar Called Elegante - good concept, it sounds interesting - a lot of potential for great moments.  Did you place in some contests with it - 'cause it sounds kinda familiar - maybe I saw it posted on moviebytes?

Do you have an agent or manager or did you start querying prod. companies?

I'm putting the final touches on a screenplay I wrote and I'm getting ready to shop it around, I've spent so much time learning how to write a screenplay and now I have to send some more time learning how market one.

glenn
Rory MacLeod View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rory MacLeod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:27pm
I know you didn't ask for my opinion on CUT TO:, but here goes.

One thing to consider about using CUT TO: is that it takes up two lines that could be used for other things.  Normally, it's not that big of a deal.  But in this competition, where you are limited to 20 pages, you might want to eliminate anything that's not absolutely necessary.

Any scene transition assumes a CUT TO: unless otherwise specified.  You may have a reason for a DISSOLVE TO: every once in a while, but for the purposes of this competition, I wouldn't bother.
Rory MacLeod View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rory MacLeod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by gmercer gmercer wrote:

I'm putting the final touches on a screenplay I wrote and I'm getting ready to shop it around, I've spent so much time learning how to write a screenplay and now I have to send some more time learning how market one.

glenn

Ditto.  I am beginning to realize why most screenwriters fail.  There is a significant amount of committment required to learn all of the various and sundry rules regarding our craft, specifically proper script formatting.  It's a mountain to climb, especially if you don't have the benefit of having attended film school with an eye on making this your career.

Everything I know about screenwriting (which may not be much) comes from these online forums and websites, reading other screenplays, and probably a dozen books I have purchased.

Edited by Rory MacLeod - 26 Jul 2006 at 7:32pm
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:34pm
A Bar Called Elegante placed 3rd in Red Inkworks last year, as well as top 10 in Anything But Hollywood.

I don't have an agent or manager.  The production companies came to me, due to the contests and it being listed on Inktip.

It's not the short from last year... it is a short I wrote in about the same amount of time, though.  It is screaming to be a feature, but time does not stand still.

I'm a stubborn kind of guy - not a good salesman.  I feel that if you like it, great, if not - well, I'm not going to try to sell you on it.

If I ever walked into a pitch meeting, they'd either respect me for my candor or they'd say "who the f does he think he is?"

I want to read interesting story lines, so I try to write them as well.  I don't think I can be a formula writer, my brain isn't wired that way.  Though this contest gives me practice.

Bill

gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:34pm
I think you and I attended the same school - indulge everything you can get on the subject. Good point about cut to:'s and please chime in as often as possible - I have a short attention span so I'm using this forum as a break while I write.

glenn
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 7:40pm
I'm a cabinet maker by trade - so my mind thinks in terms of blueprints and that's how I write, but unfortunately I think I'm a better writer when I'm looser and don't stick to any pre conceived notions I had for the script - I just find it hard to switch back and forth.

I entered the first draft of this script in a couple contests 2 years ago and actually placed in 2 - which made me excited due to it being my first completed screenplay and only the first draft, but now I've rewritten it a few times and I really think it's at a level where it can be shopped around.

What do you think of inktip.com? I get so many emails from them about deadline coming soon that I thought it was a bullsh*t sight but now it seems that writers are getting their stuff seen on there?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>