NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Sound of Silence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Sound of Silence
    Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:20pm
I guess everybody is working on their scripts - I probably should too? Anybody getting nervous?

glenn
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:21pm
Nah - having some fun writing right now, but wondering what happened to the posters?
AndyHeck View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyHeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:23pm
Busy.  Got to write this screenplay in a week...
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:31pm
Glenn or Andy,

How do you guys feel about the use of:     CUT TO:

Thanks,
Bill

gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:35pm
Willie,

I don't think it's necessary because your slugline is basically a CUT TO: but there technically is nothing wrong with it. I have read in books though that some hollywood readers don't like looking at all the cut to's, but sometimes a cut to: does have a good impact in the right place - so you should probably just use your best judgement.

glenn
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:37pm
I meant to ask what your thoughts were on it?

glenn
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:46pm
I leave it out as well - I go with the sluglines.  Having said that, I've never written suspense, and I feel that some may be needed.  More back and forth than straight ahead, such as a drama/comedy... for me, anyway.

I'm having much more fun this time around.

Good luck,
Bill
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 5:55pm
Thanks I wish I had gotten suspense - fantasy/a window is the barrel I'm looking down at. I have found my story though and it's coming along good now.

Chris mentioned in an earlier post that there's a guy who's in 2 heats and at first I thought he was ambitious but now after thinking about and having 2 years in a row with heat assignments I'm not thrilled with - that maybe next year I'll pay for 2 as well - maybe I'll get at least one genre I like.

good luck to you as well - looking forward to reading yours,
glenn
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 6:09pm
Thanks,

I would kill for mockumentary or comedy... last year I had Mystery/Ice.  It took me several days to get over the disgust.

This year it only took me one day.

Looking forward to reading yours as well.

Bill
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 6:33pm
It's funny how different people are, last year I thought Mystery/Ice was the best possible one - I've been tempted on various occasions to write a feature using those guidelines, but who has the time with the other features I'm working on and not to meantion the day job - which I like to refer to as the dead job.

glenn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>