NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who are your beta readers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Red Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are your beta readers?
    Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 9:39am
After this last contest I've been thinking a lot about the feedback I could/probably should be getting before I submit a story. Everywhere I read, people say that you should not use close friends and family as your beta readers. 

Which brings me to my beta readers:
- mother
- girlfriend
- college friend

I get decent constructive feedback from my girlfriend, but besides that it's mostly change a word here, change a word there... and the ever popular "I loved it! :D". It's hard to get a true critique. Unfortunately, I don't really know anyone who could be a true beta reader and constructively rip my story apart and ask all the right questions. (I went to a tech school, so all of my friends and acquaintances are engineers...) 

Who do people typically use as beta readers? What is your association with the person? How did you meet them? Is it worth looking into local writing groups or something like that? I think this could be really helpful for people like myself who are early in their writing careers.
Donovan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 10:01am
For this round, I had one beta reader I found right here at NYCM and two others who are in a writing group with me. Writers are the best beta readers; friends and family are the worst (IMHO). My husband's response to my submission for this round was. "It's good. Great."
JenC_P View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenC_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 11:49am
I differentiate between critique partners and beta readers. I rely on critique partners for the big critiques I use when drafting. I found critique partners through writing groups, conferences, associations. I also use two writing groups to look at bits and pieces of my writing.

On the other hand, I use beta readers when I feel like I've got a pretty polished piece. In beta readers, I look for those who simply like the genre in which I write. I'm not looking for nitty-gritty critique but an overall sense of enjoyment of the story. For that, I have a good (but honest) friend, someone from my book club, even my husband.

You asked about writing groups, and I think they're *really* great. You may not have people in the group who love your style or genre, but it's both a way to stay motivated and a way to meet people who could become awesome critique partners.
Jenny Coon Peterson
jennycoonpeterson.com

Round 2, Heat 18: Animalia
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 6:18am
I found my beta readers here. Other writers I've gotten to know through these competitions and are generous of heart and care about helping each other. And I have a friend who is an ex-teacher who if she's available will correct my punctuation, as it has its good and bad moments.
mand View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 6:32am
I'm a sad, lonesome individual who doesn't have any beta readers or writing partners just my alter ego harping on at me. Probably why my writing ends up weird. I think they're a good idea especially when it comes to discovering if characters are sympathetic or you've placed the stepping stones too far apart, as someone here once said to me - always a slippery issue.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 7:02am

Nobody ... I usually let my wife and youngest daughter read them when I've submitted ... And a few FB friends ... Otherwise, I stand or fall my own judgement ... And proffredding ...

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
Mukti Devi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mukti Devi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:53pm
My sister is great. She's worked in film development for years and has a great grasp on story and what an audience needs. This year, she had no time for me because of a project, so her husband (who is an actor) gave me notes, and they were helpful.

I think having at least one person read and react is essential when you're short on time.
If you have a chance, Please review my first attempt at microfiction Here. R1 G43
The Red Lion View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Red Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 8:51am
it sounds like there is a pretty good variety on how people approach this. I really like the idea of having two separate beta readers, one that reads to see if they enjoy it and it all makes sense with no gaping holes. And another group to look at all the nitty gritty details. It's definitely a bit hard with this contest because a lot of us aren't even finished until 5 minutes before the deadline!
Mukti Devi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mukti Devi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 11:33am
I have to agree with Donovan that non-writers aren't much help other than "liked it" or "didn't like it." On the other hand, that simple reaction can say a lot about your story.
If you have a chance, Please review my first attempt at microfiction Here. R1 G43
patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 11:55am
I found my first and only wonderful beta reader here Smile  It might be a good idea to start a thread here for people who are looking and people who are willing to beta for projects both inside and outside NYC Midnight.   Most people have something they could exchange between writers for a look. 

I would be willing to sign up.  Anyone else?

Patsy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>