5 [6.76%]
6 [8.11%]
11 [14.86%]
3 [4.05%]
10 [13.51%]
34 [45.95%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2006 at 4:17pm
17 pages.  Pretty strong thanks to the help of loyal friends who love revising and proofing my work.

Henry
Less talk, more writing!
SavageG View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2006 at 4:23pm
I think script length is very much dictated by genre. With things like thriller, or Romantic Comedy, or Horror, there's a lot of pages that need to be dedicated to establishing back stories or character relationships. I had enough trouble squeezing my story into 20 pages, I couldn't imagine doing it in less.

Even more difficult is the fact that I like to let my characters go off on diatribes. diatribes that go a long way to define the character, but do vitually nothing to advance the plot.
Not all who wander are lost, not all who wonder without wisdom.
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2006 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by SavageG SavageG wrote:

I think script length is very much dictated by genre. With things like thriller, or Romantic Comedy, or Horror, there's a lot of pages that need to be dedicated to establishing back stories or character relationships.

I don't know about that.  I think all the genres have their own unique challenges and while it may be hard, they can all work in very short scripts as well as long.

Chris
f. chong View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f. chong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2006 at 6:49pm
I started yesterday at 11:59pm (wanted to try writing it in 24 hours or less, just to try it). Came out to 12 pages on the nose. I wish I could've gotten it shorter. Fun, if a bit exhausting!
keyeski38 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyeski38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2006 at 6:57pm
f. chong,

when did you post?
f. chong View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f. chong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2006 at 6:59pm
I sent the screenplay off at 11:48pm tonight and posted here at 11:49pm. Is that what you meant?
keyeski38 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyeski38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2006 at 7:13pm
Yes, that's what I meant. Just wanted to know if you finished it in three hours and were toying with us.
spiffyvictory View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiffyvictory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2006 at 7:15pm

Mine clocked in at 7.  Honestly, I'm afraid it could've been longer with more detail.  It's really a first draft or a 1.5 draft.

Too many damn ideas for story, and too much procrastination.

Seriously, I'm the friggin' King of the Procrasti Nation.

f. chong View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f. chong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2006 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by keyeski38 keyeski38 wrote:

Yes, that's what I meant. Just wanted to know if you finished it in three hours and were toying with us.

I think it was more like 9 hours on the script (I wrote it in 3 seperate 3 hour shifts). I think that if I would've slept on it a day, might've found some way to streamline it/improve it. I'm sure I'm going to hit my head tomorrow morning and go, "Oh, why didn't you just do THAT instead?"

The hard part was not looking at the heat assignment--when I did, felt a little peach pit in the stomach and then said, "That's what it is, that's what is! Git movin'!" It was fun, I like to write--and the wierd combos the contest comes up with make it a good way to break outside of what you might normally write about.

How about you? How did it go?
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2006 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by f. chong f. chong wrote:

I started yesterday at 11:59pm (wanted to try writing it in 24 hours or less, just to try it). Came out to 12 pages on the nose. I wish I could've gotten it shorter. Fun, if a bit exhausting!

Don't quite get this.  If you wanted  to try and do it in 24 hours, why not let your time begin when the genre/subject announcements were made?  That way, you would know what you had in 24, then could spend the rest of the week polishing it up to get into the next round - or if you didn't want to, just turn it in. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>