5 [6.76%]
6 [8.11%]
11 [14.86%]
3 [4.05%]
10 [13.51%]
34 [45.95%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterWrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 12:59am
Mine clocked in at 19 pages. Dunno how that happened, I thought it was gonna go way over. As I was writing page 10, I was thinking, "Aw man, I've not even got into the story properly yet." But somehow, it tied up nicely at page 19. Mind you, it was one of those start slowly, then sprint to the end type scripts... it sucks...
trike View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 3:34am
Originally posted by ABEAR111 ABEAR111 wrote:

Originally posted by f. chong f. chong wrote:

I started yesterday at 11:59pm (wanted to try writing it in 24 hours or less, just to try it). Came out to 12 pages on the nose. I wish I could've gotten it shorter. Fun, if a bit exhausting!

Don't quite get this.  If you wanted  to try and do it in 24 hours, why not let your time begin when the genre/subject announcements were made?  That way, you would know what you had in 24, then could spend the rest of the week polishing it up to get into the next round - or if you didn't want to, just turn it in. 

Becuase then that wouldn't be a real 24-hour deadline, just a self-imposed one.  "Putting it off 'til the first minute" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. LOL

Doug
Henry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 4:29am

I'm not sure what rellevance page count has.  So if someone can explain it, I'd be much appreciative.  Is short and sweet better than long and drawn out?  I'm a fan of well rounded characters and backstory.  Clearly anyone can do that in 20 pages, but 10, that's sort of pushing it, I think.

Less talk, more writing!
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 5:07am
Originally posted by spiffyvictory spiffyvictory wrote:

Mine clocked in at 7.  Honestly, I'm afraid it could've been longer with more detail.  It's really a first draft or a 1.5 draft
I think 7 is the best page length. Smile

Chris
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 5:10am
Originally posted by Henry Henry wrote:

I'm not sure what rellevance page count has.  So if someone can explain it, I'd be much appreciative.  Is short and sweet better than long and drawn out?  I'm a fan of well rounded characters and backstory.  Clearly anyone can do that in 20 pages, but 10, that's sort of pushing it, I think.
I used to run a 5 page screenplay competition and I can tell you it is amazing what people can do in such a short space.  It is hard, but entirely possible to tell a full story with characters who have depth.

Chris
monkaila View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkaila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 11:23am
I came in at 9 pages this year.  I pushed the full 20 last year and I think I tried to put too much into the text.  I went into this year with the goal of keeping it to one (hopefully) tight scene. 

Of course, keeping it short wasn't hard - nasty week of work (12+ hour days) and then add in the fact that I moved this week.  Probably wouldn't have pulled anything together if it wasn't for the feedback being provided this year - great draw for the contest!
f. chong View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f. chong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 11:55am

Don't quite get this.  If you wanted  to try and do it in 24 hours, why not let your time begin when the genre/subject announcements were made?  That way, you would know what you had in 24, then could spend the rest of the week polishing it up to get into the next round - or if you didn't want to, just turn it in. 

Having the extra time wouldn't make it a 24 hour excercise. I wanted to know what it would feel like if it was the 2nd round--I don't know if I'll ever get to the second round, but I was curious about the deadline pressure. I didn't want to give myself the room for the extra week.

Don't know if I could explain it better than that. I think if the goal is to try and win, giving yourself more time makes sense--but I'm not really 'innit to winnit' so to speak--just did it for fun, for the challenge, to see what I could do with limited resources (in this case, time and outside requirements--ie, the genre and subject).

Edited by f. chong - 30 Jul 2006 at 11:56am
Requiem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 12:48pm
The second round is hell... pure hell.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Requiem Requiem wrote:

The second round is hell... pure hell.
Yes, but it's a quick hell and it sure is nice to say you've been there. Smile

Chris
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2006 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by f. chong f. chong wrote:

Having the extra time wouldn't make it a 24 hour excercise. I wanted to know what it would feel like if it was the 2nd round--I don't know if I'll ever get to the second round, but I was curious about the deadline pressure. I didn't want to give myself the room for the extra week.

Don't know if I could explain it better than that. I think if the goal is to try and win, giving yourself more time makes sense--but I'm not really 'innit to winnit' so to speak--just did it for fun, for the challenge, to see what I could do with limited resources (in this case, time and outside requirements--ie, the genre and subject).

Gotcha.  Sounds like you got what you were looking for.  Very good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>