NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So Far?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by gmercer gmercer wrote:

One thing I've read about suspense and thriller is in a thriller if there's a bomb under a table that 2 characters are sitting at - the characters will know it's there - in a suspense only the audience knows.

Last year I took this old Hitchcock adage and applied it literally.

My genre/subject was suspense/an old record.

I put a bomb in the record player, informed the audience, but not the characters.

My script won its heat, so I'd say this is solid advice.
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 3:12pm
I remember that script Requiem - that was top notch - I didn't even realize at the time that was what you were eluding to - how's this years script coming?
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by gmercer gmercer wrote:

Just curious how the writing is coming along for everyone?

I think I have my idea and now I'm drenching myself with the conventions of the genre so I can sit down and break 'em.

Hope All is Going Well!
glenn

Had three outlines yesterday, narrowed it to one this morning, finished page 18 at 1:00 this afternoon.  I like the general story, but it still needs a lot of work, and a touch more character development.
As usual, I'm full speed ahead and now need to go back and fill in the stuff I missed.
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 3:44pm
I've come up with the general idea and how it goes, but I'm not writing until tomorrow.  Still working it all out in my head... I wish I had comedy or mockumentary, so I spent the first day cursing all the lucky bast**** who did end up with those categories.

Writing suspense is not my thing, so I had to do some technique research.  I think I've got it now... or do I?

At least I managed to spell suspense correctly this time around, so I guess I'm on the right road Wink.  Thank goodness for my wife and editorial skills.
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 3:49pm
I'm coming up with plenty of ideas for the feature I'm polishing but I only have the concept for this one. That's why I'm usually working on 2 or 3 scripts at a time - usually different genres - you never know which one the ideas will flow for!

I'm definitely going to start laying out this story tomorrow!

glenn
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

I wish I had comedy or mockumentary, so I spent the first day cursing all the lucky bast**** who did end up with those categories.

Writing suspense is not my thing, so I had to do some technique research.  I think I've got it now... or do I?

Heh, you and I are in the same heat AND in the same boat Smile

I just changed my entire story and I think I have something ok (a heat winner I can't imagine). Had wanted to have the first draft done by now because work will be crazy this week, but them's the breaks! Maybe late tomorrow night...or Tuesday...
Willie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 5:10pm
I'll have some time on Tuesday and Thursday.  We'll see what happens.  Make it interesting, if not original.  In suspense, I feel there are only interesting takes on unoriginal ideas.

Good luck to you.
Peter Ramsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Ramsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 7:10pm
Ten pages and counting. I hope to finish by wednesday and do any corrections or additions by the deadline. I am taking a break just to check in here and see who is responding. Best of luck to all!
PRStar
Never assume anything!
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 7:31pm
I can't believe so many of you are so far along on your scripts - I better pull something out of my...soon, don't worry I'll clean it up first, or I'll never be a contender.

Actually I'm not worried, my idea is strong and I just need to find the best plotting for my story and it should write itself, which is good cause I ain't gonna write the damn thing.

glenn
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 1:39am
Originally posted by Willie Willie wrote:

I'll have some time on Tuesday and Thursday.  We'll see what happens.  Make it interesting, if not original.  In suspense, I feel there are only interesting takes on unoriginal ideas.

Good luck to you.

You too! I think this new one is ok...I like my original idea better but I'm not sure it fits the genre.  Maybe I'll write the original one after the contest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>