NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So Far?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So Far?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 1:40pm
Just curious how the writing is coming along for everyone?

I think I have my idea and now I'm drenching myself with the conventions of the genre so I can sit down and break 'em.

Hope All is Going Well!
glenn
Requiem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 1:45pm
I've crapped out 6 pages of utter drivel based on a loose outline. I was hoping the comedy would come naturally... I was wrong. I'll probably scrap the idea and start something else.

Other than that, it's going great Big smile
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by gmercer gmercer wrote:

Just curious how the writing is coming along for everyone?

I just re-read my first five pages and realized that the story can't possibly work and I seem to be incapable of building suspense.

but hey, I'm enjoying the forums!

Ermm
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 1:50pm
Comedy's tough - it's an art in and of itself, not that any one genre is harder than another, but comedy would be hard for me as well. But I'd still rather have that than fantasy.

Good Luck,
glenn
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 1:54pm
Wanna trade, I'd love suspense. Did you go rent Wait Until Dark - Blockbuster should have it - I think Audrey Hepburn's in it - actually I know she is. One thing I've read about suspense and thriller is in a thriller if there's a bomb under a table that 2 characters are sitting at - the characters will know it's there - in a suspense only the audience knows. Hopefully that was helpful - and hopefully I don't get any crap for being helpful.

Good Luck
glenn
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 2:12pm
I've got nothing so far.

Chris
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 2:14pm
Well put Chris, you're a funny guy - not like a clown though.

good luck
glenn
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 2:16pm
Actually I take that back when I first saw you're post there was huge space and then right at the bottom was your text, and then after I replied it was back to normal - so you're not as funny as I thought - lol

glenn
wenonah View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wenonah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 2:23pm
Page 8, relishing the fact that I know the story, know where it's going and I love it.  I've never written a thriller before, but like all genres it has it's own pace and 'rules' and it's all going very well and I'm sticking to it tightly. I should be done with the first draft tonight.

wenonah
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by gmercer gmercer wrote:

One thing I've read about suspense and thriller is in a thriller if there's a bomb under a table that 2 characters are sitting at - the characters will know it's there - in a suspense only the audience knows. Hopefully that was helpful - and hopefully I don't get any crap for being helpful.

Good Luck
glenn

Hey, that's good, Glenn, thanks!

I am in mourning for mockumentary. Maybe I can write a very suspenseful mockumentary comedy rom com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>