NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Submission Statistics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2007 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by CarolynA CarolynA wrote:

It's gonna seem like a long time until the next heat.
It alway's does.

Chris
dralfonso2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dralfonso2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2007 at 9:38pm
It already seems like ages ago. Thank goodness for the sharing of stories that has been so entertaining this past week.

I'm a little apprehensive of having to write a story in just 24hours.  Don't know if I could do it, especially with all that pressure! 

Anyone care to make a guess at possible topics for the final heat? And, does anyone know of any other similar contests?  dralfonso   
richke View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 4:12am
i'm sure i could throw something together  :) - but i dont see myself moving on  LOL
Heat #18 - The Darkness Within   
http://www.richardthomaskeel.com/media/18_TheDarknessWithin.pdf
durden7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote durden7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 4:26am

24 hours is remarkably tight.

I am not a first draft guy. I've known some writers who get it pretty darn good on the first try - but I'm not one of them. I have to get it all out on the page and then start cutting. Things usually come in fits and starts for me, so 24 hours is a busy time.

Really busy. 

CarolynA View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarolynA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 5:25am
I'm good at first drafts - BUT only after I've had days or weeks to think about them, usually. Once I wrote 3 stories in six days for a friendly contest but that's ONCE. Usually it takes me about 2 weeks of thinking to come up with a first draft. And the story is not publication-ready until after I've had some feedback and at least one revision. But hey, it's a challenge.

Edited by CarolynA - 29 Jan 2007 at 5:25am
durden7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote durden7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 11:34am
It's definitely a challenge - which is why it's so much fun in the first place, I think.
The first round week offered plenty of time for reflection and consideration. There is not much of that for the round 2 people.
write4life View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote write4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2007 at 5:35pm
I, for one, was thrilled to be in the Fantasy heat. That gave me permission to stretch far beyond the "normal". With that genre you don't run into the "that really wouldn't happen in real life" or "nobody would react that way" criticisms. I had a blast with it. Best of luck to all!      
Scotsfilmmaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotsfilmmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 5:26am
Sorry - not me!  Thought it'd be fun to add a touch of eco-cynicism to the genre!!
gavin@strangeattractorfilms.com
dave33079 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave33079 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2007 at 11:36pm
I am buying out starbucks to make it through the 24,
durden7 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote durden7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2007 at 10:11am
Buying out starbucks? Have they announced the final round yet? Am I getting behind?

Edited by durden7 - 06 Feb 2007 at 4:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>