NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What contests do you participate in?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 4:22pm
This is my first year of having a goal to enter ALL the NYCMs! Last year I did all the prose ones + Rhyming, and this year, I'm adding the Screenwriting ones! It's tiring but fun, and it's great to have so many simultaneous comps that results weeks are a surprise because last year, I was on the edge of my seat for every one! One down (I'm out of Screenwriting, which tbh was a bit of a relief lol), two active (SS and 100), and four to go!

I'm telling myself that I'll only enter my favorites next year, but I also kind of want to be able to make R2 of all the comps, which means that I'll have to do Screenwriting (and likely Short Screenplay, but we'll see) again next year, and Rhyming until I crack the code, I suppose... which puts me back at All the NYCMs since I like all of the other ones LOL Well, I don't love SS, but it's the first comp after the writing comp "holiday break" so to speak starting in mid-December, so I'm just itching to write again by the time I get to it, so I imagine I'll... just be stuck in all the NYCMs for a while lol. The Micros and Flash are my favorite though, so if I'm short on time/funds next year, I'll prioritize those three.

I've done the last three WB, and I've done one GS! I have a good prompt for the current one, but I can't motivate myself without financial investment, so I guess my next GS will be the course contest...
annemarie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annemarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 4:33am
I found this sci-fi competition that is open to writers resident in Australia.   Sharing the details in case there are any fellow Aussies following this thread.

https://www.australiansciencefictionwritersfoundation.com.au/guidelines.html

Mind you, if there are any sci-fi junkies out there who wouldn't mind casting an eye over my draft I would be very grateful Smile
SS R1 Mystery
Rhyming R2 Romance
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 4:43am
Originally posted by annemarie annemarie wrote:

I found this sci-fi competition that is open to writers resident in Australia.   Sharing the details in case there are any fellow Aussies following this thread.

https://www.australiansciencefictionwritersfoundation.com.au/guidelines.html

Mind you, if there are any sci-fi junkies out there who wouldn't mind casting an eye over my draft I would be very grateful Smile

Send away. Mr SciFy here.
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 8:07am
I really enjoyed Literary Taxidermy. I'm not sure when they will offer it again but they have a workshop that I signed up for this weekend. They also offered a two part workshop but I'm not available on that day. I had so much fun with my submission last year that I am hoping to learn what I missed with the poem I wrote.

In regards to feedback on WB, I thought the "common" feedback was spot on and collectively gave me insight I would not have otherwise had. It also made me realize that the feedback I get from my friends has little to no value in the world of writing contests.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 11:07am
I did all of the NYCM for a couple years; started with Short Screenplay, even tried 250 M the first year or so.  When I started my writing was embarrassingly cringe worthy.

Now I only do short story and did WP this year.  Been seriously considering dropping NYCM entirely and we'll see how WP goes.  My writing has improved to merely embarrassing.

In a list of 34 attributes 'competition' came in 17th, so I am by no means addicted to the 'challenge'...
This sig intentionally blank
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 3:01pm
I almost exclusively do NYCM :) I entered Globe Soup for the first time a couple weekends ago. I'm shaky on entering it again, mostly because I think it's silly to have all the genres compete against each other when some are advantaged by simply being more popular genres.

I have limited time for contests so I save it for (imo) the best ❤️️
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123