NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Advice on writing strong character descriptions?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on writing strong character descriptions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
montmorency View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montmorency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on writing strong character descriptions?
    Posted: 25 May 2023 at 2:42pm
Thanks everyone for the insight and advice!
Graham Brand View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Brand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:46am
I love the way Greta Gerwig introduces her two characters for Lady Bird:

Two women sleep together in a bed. Christine, aka LADY BIRD, 17 years old.
Her Mom, MARION, the age of Lady Bird’s Mom.

So brief, yet that dismissal of information about Lady Bird's mother tells you all you need to know about 17-year old Christine.

Edited by Graham Brand - 24 May 2023 at 11:48am
SC 2023 R2 Faster, Stronger, Dead
SC 2023 R1 Hell Bent
Discopanda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Discopanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 10:27am
 Like the rest of screenwriting it's about making the reader feel how you want them to feel about a character. In Knives Out, Rian Johnson's script describes a character (played by Don Johnson)as  "He would put his feet up anywhere" and it really gives you an idea of how you see them. In The Menu, you get very little out of Margot and Tyler when they're first introduced, just that they're a young, elegantly dressed couple, because that's part of the mystery. 

I think just reading more screenplays can help give more ideas of what that looks like.
Screenplay 2024:Foraging for Answers
RichD74 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichD74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 8:40am
Hey,

Think it was Christopher Nolan who said this, can't quite remember but think about it as 'they're the kind of person who...' rather than what they look like or are wearing. Always helps me with mine. In my round 2 submission even used exactly these words to introduce my main character. Described her as - the kind of person who never lets anything go.

Hope that helps.

Rich
montmorency View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montmorency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 9:53pm
This is definitely a weak spot for me and something judges have noted in the past. My character descriptions are always an afterthought and are usually short (to save space). Does anyone have advice on how to write good ones? 
 Post Reply Post Reply