NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Battle spring micro!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 53>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 11:37am
Originally posted by SZMerilainen SZMerilainen wrote:

Just a request, it would be really lovely if there was some indication that I had already left a comment on a story! I keep clicking through and being like "I'm sure I've read this, did I comment when I read it or did I read it in the early hours of the morning and couldn't coordinate my brain enough to actually say anything that would make sense". Even just a little tick would be great for my brain!

I understand though it may not be as easy as that, so totally fine if it can't be implemented!

Also so many people are commenting that my story is quite smutty, which I didn't realise! I guess fanfic has really desensitised me :P

I like this idea, too!
jamagan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 11:54am
Eek! The first round of scores are live!
(Click on each house name to see the scores)

Edited by jamagan - 07 Jun 2023 at 11:54am
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 11:59am
Psst.... first three rounds are live. Check out the Houses!

I'm sure eventually we'll keep some sort of history for which stories you've commented on cause I know that will be helpful, but don't expect that anytime soon cause there's still a lot of catching up to do.

About Military Lampoon -- I just want to say that despite there being only 80-ish stories, the stories that were submitted were GOLD. If I chose my top 10 stories from this Battle, probably 5 of them would be from Military Lampoon. Great work Military Lampooners and congrats for sticking it out in a tough genre!
gvmhell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gvmhell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:19pm
Military Lampoon gave me such anxiety lol - I'm happy to see my obnoxious story had some fans, but you're right, Max! The other Military Lampoons I've read have been riots, I love what people did with this genre! 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 12:51pm
Well, it was nice to see all my winner picks ended up being what the other judges thought as well.
jamagan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:01pm
Anyone else watch these results unfold with such a crazy range of emotions? And not about myself, but about the other stories I've read in all the genres and houses. I tried to read as many of the stories posted that I could, and I am seeing stories that I was in love with fall out of the competition after the 4th round and stories that maybe fell flat for me advance. We talk about how writing and preferences are all so incredibly subjective, and I watched that truth play out before my eyes. 

I looked at the individual head-to-head duels in each round for all genres, often nodding my head at who won and other times surprised at the chosen winners. There were one or two duel decisions that floored me. 

But big congrats to all the those who have secured a spot in the next round! 
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:38pm
Congrats to everyone moving forward in the final 16! Well done, all! 
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

I'm sure eventually we'll keep some sort of history for which stories you've commented on cause I know that will be helpful, but don't expect that anytime soon cause there's still a lot of catching up to do.

About Military Lampoon -- I just want to say that despite there being only 80-ish stories, the stories that were submitted were GOLD. If I chose my top 10 stories from this Battle, probably 5 of them would be from Military Lampoon. Great work Military Lampooners and congrats for sticking it out in a tough genre!

Max--just curious how the seeding for the final 16 worked.  If there were a lot of stories tied at 8pts or 7pts, (after the dark horses had been selected) how did the official judges determine how those stories were seeded?  And thanks for the cool reveal--loved how the tabs and site looked!

Trey
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

Max--just curious how the seeding for the final 16 worked.  If there were a lot of stories tied at 8pts or 7pts, (after the dark horses had been selected) how did the official judges determine how those stories were seeded?  And thanks for the cool reveal--loved how the tabs and site looked!

Trey

Thanks, Trey. They were shuffled and then ordered by points. So it's a rough seeding (in the previous battles it was done the exact same way).
Ainley Marsden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ainley Marsden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 5:21pm
Max-- What does a gravel with a circle mean? That icon graces some of the house cards and is on some of the duels instead of a W. Also on a house card is a house icon. THere's no explanation on the site itself that I could see.
2023 FF:
CH2:
The Walls We Build
CH1 link is in Master list: JUNE JUSTICE IN JEDDHA (Group 56)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 53>