NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Battle spring micro!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 53>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 11:43am
Originally posted by lousie lousie wrote:

I realized my house had shared a lot of stories on the debrief and I counted some others to compare, then got completely carried away. I am fairly embarrassed I did this when Max can do it in 20 seconds but you may as well enjoy my 30 mins of mental addition. Very high share rate all up. Disclaimer: done by brain not computer.

House Pictor in the lead, current Debrief Victors...

House Pictor is fairly bad a** just in general. Not only do they have the highest share rate, but they also have the coolest flag. Ukraine colors with a splash of Maritime. Solid stuff. LOL

From seeing past Debriefs, expect a lot more shares after the initial reveal. Although this reveal is not as drawn out, so we shouldn't see as much of an increase as the other Battles, but I would expect a little more people to share after Wednesday (tomorrow).

If you're wondering why the reveal was in two short bursts rather than a slow trickle over a week, this was for two reasons:
  1. Time. All of this coding is on-the-fly. I'm in perpetual "catch-up" and have to code my butt off just to meet these deadlines. Future Battles will not be like this, and we can play around with this reveal a bit more. For the record, none of the front-end code has been completed for the reveal at the time I'm positing this. That's this afternoon/evening/tomorrow early morning.
  2. Some folks expressed to me that they didn't like how drawn out the reveal was in past Battles, so I think this is a good experiment.
Crossing my fingers that I don't accidently reveal everything prematurely... Confused
wisemel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote wisemel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 12:27pm
Max, you're a rock star!

I feel like a week to read debriefs before the Swiss reveal was just enough time. Ok, to be fair, it has felt a bit like torture... but still, it's nice to be able to read and engage with folks through debrief and make guesses. And releasing the results of all rounds in one day sounds like it will be a lot of fun! 

I am very glad we do not have to wait another entire week for final results. Three days seems like enough time to read more of the final stories we missed before winner announcements. 

Please don't stretch any of this out and make us wait longer next time. haha! 
Doug Rowland View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Doug Rowland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 12:46pm
Great stuff! i love these analyses. shows that WB is vibrant and all about building a community !
Screenwriting 2024 R1 G4: Thad's Thongs Say So Much

250 micro R1 G99: The Intruder
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by nickofnight nickofnight wrote:

Fantastic share rate. I hope someone at nycm sees this and takes note - I’d love to see more stories shared here and I think a lot of it comes down to how easy it is to share on WB. It’s a bit of a pain here and then you have to figure out your signature etc.

The layout of the forums here is so... 1990's. There's no intelligence built into it and you can't easily find anyone else in your group unless you use the search feature. They already have the master list that they publish so it's not like they don't have any idea who is in what group and what the genre is. 

SZMerilainen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SZMerilainen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 6:56pm
Just a request, it would be really lovely if there was some indication that I had already left a comment on a story! I keep clicking through and being like "I'm sure I've read this, did I comment when I read it or did I read it in the early hours of the morning and couldn't coordinate my brain enough to actually say anything that would make sense". Even just a little tick would be great for my brain!

I understand though it may not be as easy as that, so totally fine if it can't be implemented!

Also so many people are commenting that my story is quite smutty, which I didn't realise! I guess fanfic has really desensitised me :P
jamagan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by SZMerilainen SZMerilainen wrote:

Also so many people are commenting that my story is quite smutty, which I didn't realise! I guess fanfic has really desensitised me :P

Me off to find your story and make sure I didn't miss the smutty one...
Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 9:28pm

Just a request, it would be really lovely if there was some indication that I had already left a comment on a story! I keep clicking through and being like "I'm sure I've read this, did I comment when I read it or did I read it in the early hours of the morning and couldn't coordinate my brain enough to actually say anything that would make sense". Even just a little tick would be great for my brain!

I understand though it may not be as easy as that, so totally fine if it can't be implemented!

Hi SZ (and lampoon housemate),

I concur that it would be great to know which ones I commented on already but that sounds difficult to program. I wish I'd kept a running list of all the stories I read/reviewed. Next time.

BTW, I also have a blue humor content warning on my story. I wonder if anyone judged our stories head to head?! Plus we have "All Hands on Dick" in our house, so there is more smut to go around! Ha!

** On a Forum Break until April **

250 R2: Whispers Under a Lonely Kansas Sky
More: Archive
SZMerilainen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SZMerilainen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 9:44pm
Military lampoon is a surprisingly easy genre for it, it seems! LOL
LisaBelle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote LisaBelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 10:32pm
I think we should consider forming an all-girl military lampoon inappropriate content gang. Who’s with me?
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 11:36am
Originally posted by jamagan jamagan wrote:

Me off to find your story and make sure I didn't miss the smutty one...

Also off to find the story...for research purposes, Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 53>