NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Loglines - 3 sentences?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loglines - 3 sentences?
    Posted: 22 Jul 2006 at 2:43pm

Do you think a three-sentence logline is too much? Or should it never be more than two?
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2006 at 3:12pm
I've always heard the shorter the better - one sentence if possible - even a word if it's intriguing enough.
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2006 at 3:38pm
The shorter the better is best but 3 sentences is hardly long - from my research you should stay within a paragraph. I find if I try hard to be economical with my words I can usually edit a logline to a sentence or two.

One word logline? I'd have to say practically impossible - in this contest you need 2 just to get the genre and subject - of course if I combine the genre and subject and create a new word my one word logline could be FANTADOW or WINDASY - lol.

Anyway I hope everyone's having better luck than I am!

glenn
Chris Messineo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Messineo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2006 at 3:59pm
The rules specifically state the logline cannot be more than two sentences.

Chris
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2006 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Chris Messineo Chris Messineo wrote:

Chris

Oh whew, thanks Chris!

darn

About the one word logline -- I don't think it should ever be one word. You can't get industry people to buy your work if they don't know what your work is about. I get tempted to write teaser-type ones as well, though.
AndyHeck View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyHeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2006 at 6:34pm
Shorter is better.  Think about your idea being shopped from person to person to person to person.  Ever play telephone? 
gmercer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2006 at 9:48pm
Now I know why I lost my heat last year, my logline was 3 sentences. Damn those rules!

glenn
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 3:44am
Originally posted by AndyHeck AndyHeck wrote:

Shorter is better.  Think about your idea being shopped from person to person to person to person.  Ever play telephone? 

Yeah, last year mine was one. I think it will have to be two this year or it would be a horrifying run on, but it looks like I better leave a lot of time to write the logline!
ABEAR111 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABEAR111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2006 at 10:58am
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

Originally posted by Chris Messineo Chris Messineo wrote:

Chris

Oh whew, thanks Chris!

darn

About the one word logline -- I don't think it should ever be one word. You can't get industry people to buy your work if they don't know what your work is about. I get tempted to write teaser-type ones as well, though.

Actually a producer once told me that about the one word, forget who he was quoting, I will try to find out.  The point is, you are trying to intrigue people who have piles of pitches thrown at them every day.  The less it takes you to explain, the more they know that you know what your story is really about and if it's intriguing to them, the more likely they are to read/consider it.

Edited by ABEAR111 - 23 Jul 2006 at 11:01am
spiffyvictory View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiffyvictory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 8:38am

Want an example of a short and sweet logline?

Snakes on a Plane.

'nuff said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>