NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How is everyone doin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 8:00pm
This had been an interesting one and I'm pretty sure round 2 is now out of reach for me but I'm having an absolute blast. So much for being done. 
First edit was simple, all I had to do was hit the undo about 25 times, lol. 
Next 53423 minor edits have firmly pushed my sorry-a$$ crime caper into demented rom-com with crimes and explosions. And shoes. 

If I get crime caper for the next competition, It's going to be about sabotaging the giant genre wheel at NYCM headquarters.  

Do we even learn the male/female ratio of the judges? That would have been helpful.

clancyweeks View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote clancyweeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 9:07am
My first completed screenplay here, and I have to admit I pantsed the whole thing.  Is that common?  I rarely outline any of my stories or novels, and even when I do, the finished product never looks like the outline.

Anyone else here a pantser, or does everyone outline their scripts?
Dr. Weeks (cuz the WSJ says titles are dumb).

Using Boomer as a pejorative gets you insta-blocked.

Sardonic is my schtick, the ellipsis my weapon of choice...
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 11:53am

Haha! Finally got 12 pages done and have sent it out for bit of beta feedback.
Guess I will see if my convoluted idea will work.

Pantsing lives!

Edited by Suave - 31 Mar 2023 at 11:54am
marizoli View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marizoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 12:35pm
I submitted mine! I've reread it so many times, thought it was best to just push go. 

This is my second time trying to write a short screenplay. (I'm normally a novelist). This has been a lot of fun.
marizoli View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote marizoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 12:39pm
Also a pantser!

Though I start out with an idea, some characters, some main beats, and an ending. I've tried outlining in the past but once I start writing things just change organically
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by clancyweeks clancyweeks wrote:

My first completed screenplay here, and I have to admit I pantsed the whole thing.  Is that common?  I rarely outline any of my stories or novels, and even when I do, the finished product never looks like the outline.

Yup, total pantser here. I usually write the story or script  the day after the prompts - start to finish.
AND then I look back at it the next day and start messing it up, lol.

THIS TIME was different. I tried doing it by 'page' so I wrote the story in 12 scenes and went from there.
It kinda sucked so I changed over to Final Draft program and used the same idea to write 12 pages.
Boom, done. ...and then went in and started messing it up, lol.

I think I pants because when the idea comes, it appears start to finish in my head and I have to get it out or it will disappear. 
Authors I admire do both. The thought of doing a detailed outline is like doing a painting twice. Zero spontaneity.  
So far total pants stories have a higher success rate vs pantser stories that I futzed with many times after it was written. Current semi-plotter story? who knows? Highest finish here was a first draft with only spelling corrected..sigh.

I think I'm at that stage where I'm starting to question every writing choice and edit too much after the fact. Boo hiss.

Christian Major View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 2:05pm
One of my good friends is a film director and scriptwriter. She had a look at my first 11 pages and gave me some notes. Nothing major.

Except now I'm reworking that one (1) scene and the whole thing is snowballing Wacko

I should finish and submit tonight, if the whisky doesn't take me out first Evil Smile
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 2:18pm
I had major writing block / genre tantrums all week, so I didn't start writing until today. It really wasn't looking good at first, but I'm having a lot of fun writing my story and have 6 pages so far! It's a PolSat instead of the Comedy it's supposed to be, but I'm trying not to get too caught up in that as I'm drafting. I suppose I'm part of the few who desperately wish I'd drawn PolSat LOL I'd take it over Comedy any day as, in my experience, the subtle humor that can do well in a PolSat doesn't always make the cut for a Comedy
mistressposte View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistressposte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by clancyweeks clancyweeks wrote:

This is the most outlining/blocking I've ever done for any of my writing. It was actually really fun but now I'm at 19 pages and don't want to cut any of it! Am going to give myself the night off and get back to it tomorrow with my chopping head on!

I feel crappy for not being as available for Beta reads as I planned but hopefully it won't be too late for people if I do it tomorrow
maddieclose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddieclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 2:45pm
It's due tonight and i havent even started writing sooo... I got action/adventure (my least favourite genre) and have had major writers block. We shall see if I end up submitting anything! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>