NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Logline judge sightings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 10:12am
OMG. I really want this judge. What is the milk-and-cookies equivalent that I can use to lure them into giving me ridiculous feedback?
Monsieur Renard View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monsieur Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 10:25am
My one and only encounter with them was in a screenplay comp I tried my hand at out of curiosity. He waffles on about my logline with constructive criticism and strong opinions, then casually slips in as an afterthought that my MC's character development was very 2D without any kind of advice.

{1610}  ~ Your logline begins with an enticing note but then gives too much away: a double happy ending!

A really good logline has three elements: a protagonist, their goal, and an impediment to that goal. You have all three in your story. So you can easily rework this log line to provide your audience with a seductive hook.

~ I really found it incredible that all it would take is a handsome waiter to cure Randi of her vulgar, hostile, anti-social ways.

Edited by Monsieur Renard - 31 Jan 2023 at 10:26am
shanan187 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 10:29am
Originally posted by SumFemina SumFemina wrote:

Originally posted by catnamedeaster catnamedeaster wrote:

I :

Any words that are Archetypal, or germane to Genre, or significant to your particular Story, are better capitalized, whether in your Logline or in the body of your story.

For example:

"In order to keep his Inheritance secure, a Son is persuaded to search a Gothic Victorian Mansion and steal an Obscure Item his Father desires."

What???? Seriously? In the body of your story?

Right?! Tell me the judge is skimming for keywords without saying the judge is skimming for keywords.
Betzer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 2:24pm
This made my day 😂 He sounds hilarious
SS2022 R1 Story: The Black Sheep

SS2023 R1: The Wee Shepherd
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 6:47pm
Judge 1610 also told me to capitalise certain words in a story last year.

However, Judge 1610 also: (i) liked my synopsis; and (ii) said "Bravo" because I used a semicolon correctly, so I forgive them.
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 3:59am
Does anyone know if the logline judge is okay? Because my phone autocorrect seems to have been possessed by a spirit that has started randomly capitalizing words. 

I messaged my partner that I was "reading stories on the forum" and I kid not, my phone 'corrected' it to "Reading Stories on the Forum". 

Shocked LOL
SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 4:05am
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Does anyone know if the logline judge is okay? Because my phone autocorrect seems to have been possessed by a spirit that has started randomly capitalizing words. 

LOLI messaged my partner that I was "reading stories on the forum" and I kid not, my phone 'corrected' it to "Reading Stories on the Forum". 

I see the Beginnings of a Ghost story Big smile
Paesano View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paesano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 9:52am
Originally posted by awinchester awinchester wrote:

:

Any words that are Archetypal, or germane to Genre, or significant to your particular Story, are better capitalized, whether in your Logline or in the body of your story.

Is the judge the 45th president, thinking this is a tweet?
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 9:37am
Bump
SeraLittle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeraLittle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by SumFemina SumFemina wrote:

Originally posted by catnamedeaster catnamedeaster wrote:

I :

For example:

"In order to keep his Inheritance secure, a Son is persuaded to search a Gothic Victorian Mansion and steal an Obscure Item his Father desires."

What???? Seriously? In the body of your story?

lolololololol wow

Edited by SeraLittle - 27 Jul 2023 at 12:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>