NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Logline judge sightings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Logline judge sightings
    Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 5:59pm
(Y’all asked for it… so here it is)

It was nigh on two year ago that I first caught sight a him, he was hiding amongst some other judges, but there he were plain as day. Don’t rightly know if I seen him since, but it shure was fine ta see im that day. 

taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 6:11pm
I think you meant to capitalize Judges and Day because important Nouns are capitalized LOL

Thank you friend this earned a true lol from me. I admit a fondness for logline judge,  like a very strict teacher. I don't always agree with then but dammit if they didn't make me significantly better at loglines 
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 6:14pm
I have been visited by the logline judge! What a special time that was. Here's what I got, and I've put in bold the most pertinent information they had to offer.

WHAT THE JUDGES LIKED ABOUT YOUR STORY - {1610} Congratulations on composing a Logline that fires on all cylinders of the best of them, which are comprised of these three elements:

your Protagonist - a Son,

their Goal - to keep his Inheritance secure,

and

an Impediment to that Goal- having to steal an obscure item from a Gothic Victoria Mansion for his Father.

WHAT THE JUDGES FEEL NEEDS WORK - {1610} Your Logline composition doesn't affect your overall score. I'm just sharing this tip as a bonus extra to up your game in future:

Any words that are Archetypal, or germane to Genre, or significant to your particular Story, are better capitalized, whether in your Logline or in the body of your story.

For example:

"In order to keep his Inheritance secure, a Son is persuaded to search a Gothic Victorian Mansion and steal an Obscure Item his Father desires."

Edited by catnamedeaster - 30 Jan 2023 at 6:17pm
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 7:48pm
wow i only had one judge give actual feedback for MF250. hopefully i get some of these judges next time.
SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by catnamedeaster catnamedeaster wrote:

I :

Any words that are Archetypal, or germane to Genre, or significant to your particular Story, are better capitalized, whether in your Logline or in the body of your story.

For example:

"In order to keep his Inheritance secure, a Son is persuaded to search a Gothic Victorian Mansion and steal an Obscure Item his Father desires."

What???? Seriously? In the body of your story?

Edited by SumFemina - 30 Jan 2023 at 8:38pm
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:08pm
My first sighting was Flash 2019. Ironically, my logline was safe but I did get the capitalize random words advice. 

.  {1610}  ~ 

...and I do recommend that you​ capitalize Archetypal words such as "Seek," "Truth," and "Hearts."

SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:11pm
That is Crazy talk IMHO.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:13pm
I don't remember which one I got him on, but I remember thinking "This guy cannot be for real." 
SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I don't remember which one I got him on, but I remember thinking "This guy cannot be for real." 

Madam, I think you mean, This guy Cannot be for Real.  Big smile
SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:19pm
Actually maybe he's taking a page out of Daniel Defoe's book. I'm reading Moll Flanders at the moment, and that's how it's written, with words capitalized in the body of the novel!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>