NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else neglected real life this week?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJZen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 5:01pm
I'm now stumbling around looking for what's next.  My story consumed my week! 
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

Dunno about neglecting real life precisely, but I have pulled more all-nighters to hit NYCM  deadlines these last six months than I did in 4 years of university study.

I'm too old for all-nighters. They've certainly left me unable to give real life the attention it deserves. Unhappy

Another on the NYCM All-nighter team here. I'm usually still awake and wired an hour after the deadline, as I generally submit around 90 minutes before, and then beta for other last-minuters and double-check punctuation etc. Last night, I only submitted 15 minutes before the deadline, so I only spotted that cracking great name mix-up 10 minutes too late. Oh well. 
Today's been a bit of a non-starter though, as I'm incredibly tired, so real life does get neglected, after as well as during. 
Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by KJZen KJZen wrote:

If you are looking for another competition, Writing Battle has a Flash Fiction contest starting this Thursday. It's a different structure than NYCM as they have wacky genres and participant judges. Also, you can switch genres (one time) and change the subject and character prompts (several times but not unlimited). After you submit your entry, you become a judge for the other genres. 

Each participant judge will be given five duels (two stories going head-to-head) to evaluate., and this means writing feedback on ten stories. The whole contest wraps up in about one month. 

It's super fun and cheap to enter. I love WB! 
** On a Forum Break until April **

250 R2: Whispers Under a Lonely Kansas Sky
More: Archive
Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 6:02pm
It's so easy to get sucked into a story, with writing and editing consuming hours at a time. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have been thinking that I am the slowest writer out there due to making endless revisions.

On Friday night I was in bed typing with two thumbs into the wee hours to finish something. I wanted to get it to a beta reader before bed. I ended up being up until 2am! And we do this for fun! ;-)

Edited by Jennk - 29 Jan 2023 at 6:02pm
** On a Forum Break until April **

250 R2: Whispers Under a Lonely Kansas Sky
More: Archive
iBenj View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by KJZen KJZen wrote:

This. And spending way too much time loitering on the forums, clinging onto the all-consuming feeling of immersion in the worlds we've created.

Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Today's been a bit of a non-starter though, as I'm incredibly tired, so real life does get neglected, after as well as during. 

It's Monday here in Aus, and my focus on work has been non-existent for the first two hours of my day. The forecast shows little chance of improvement until tomorrow, at the earliest. Then another steep decline in productivity is predicted when we start sharing stories.
MartyEss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyEss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 6:06am

Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

Dunno about neglecting real life precisely, but I have pulled more all-nighters to hit NYCM  deadlines these last six months than I did in 4 years of university study.

I'm too old for all-nighters. They've certainly left me unable to give real life the attention it deserves. Unhappy

Another on the NYCM All-nighter team here. I'm usually still awake and wired an hour after the deadline, as I generally submit around 90 minutes before, and then beta for other last-minuters and double-check punctuation etc. Last night, I only submitted 15 minutes before the deadline, so I only spotted that cracking great name mix-up 10 minutes too late. Oh well. 

Count me in on this one, crew! LOL
It's actually my *job* to pull all-nighters, but this is different.
That exposed wire frenetic energy...
It made me feel super alive and vital when I was college age; 
now I end up feeling like I should look into another cardiac medication.

At the same time, prior to the all-nighter(s), the procrastination element really gets me going on my household chores, lol.

All in all (my wife hates that expression), 
I wouldn't give any of it up for the world.Smile
crez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:28am

Last night, I only submitted 15 minutes before the deadline, so I only spotted that cracking great name mix-up 10 minutes too late. Oh well. 

The only time my American self has ever heard the expression "cracking great" before is in Wallace and Gromit. Henceforth anything you post will be heard in my head as spoken in Wallace's voice. Smile 

My brain is so weird. 
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 11:07am
Originally posted by crez crez wrote:

Last night, I only submitted 15 minutes before the deadline, so I only spotted that cracking great name mix-up 10 minutes too late. Oh well. 

The only time my American self has ever heard the expression "cracking great" before is in Wallace and Gromit. Henceforth anything you post will be heard in my head as spoken in Wallace's voice. Smile 

My brain is so weird. 

LOLLOL  I'm a bit more Gerard Butler/James MacAvoy (female version) in real life, though. 

Wallace & Gromit!! By 'eck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12