NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beta tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeannine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beta tips
    Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 5:23pm
I never sign up for being a beta because I never feel like I can give good enough advice on the story. Anyone else feel guilty when you swap cause you know your getting the better end of it? Or tips on being a better beta
TheGlamWitch View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TheGlamWitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Jeannine Jeannine wrote:

I never sign up for being a beta because I never feel like I can give good enough advice on the story. Anyone else feel guilty when you swap cause you know your getting the better end of it? Or tips on being a better beta
The way I see it all my betas give me value. Some focus on dialogue, some grammar, some readability. Either way, they all helped shape my editing. Even a simple "this is too wordy” can help ! -
100MF 2023
R2(3rd): The First, The Last, My Everything
Final: Fresh Start
500W
R1: <a href="http
mistressposte View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistressposte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 7:08pm
I agree! I probably don't have time to take part in the betas this time but I'm still using the feedback I received on my 250 word to help me with this. 

I think kindness + honesty is the way to go. You may see something that nobody else has seen. It's not about being clever - just providing your opinion can really help someone see the light!
Rullawaykid View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rullawaykid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:12am
This is my fourth NYCM challenge, and for the first two I didn't use/really know about betas and just tried to use a long-suffering group of friends for feedback instead. Then I took the plunge and found it so helpful. Even knowing that a bit of the story doesn't make sense or just that it reads well is helpful. Giving/getting feedback in the forum is less valuable to me because it's basically too late then. 
LilyCat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 3:51pm
I've worked as a proofreader and copy editor, so I'm comfortable being a beta reader. I can be harsh with my critiques though, because when you're working on a deadline for a publication you need to get sh*t done. I have to remember to tone it down here for new writers so they'll keep writing, not feel like I'm scolding them. 

I don't always swap with other writers. Sometimes I prefer to beta and not swap because I have other betas on my list outside of NYCM.
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 4:19pm
I love to beta but I always make it clear that I can offer things OTHER THAN grammar tips.
If you don't come across a grammar whiz in the beta list, don't fret too much. Look at the winning stories. Several are imperfect or use unconventional grammar or spelling and they're all brilliant. The judges aren't editors, they're looking for the best story and give fewer 'points' for technicalities.
It's important but clearly they aren't looking for the best grammar with a somewhat decent story.

I'm good at potential word cutting but I try to make it clear that the cuts are suggestions/opinions and the writer is the one who decides. If someone needs to lose 100 words, I'll suggest 150 cuts. They decide and can use all, some or none of my suggestions.

I usually need a beta to tell me if there's things in my story that are too vague or make the reader have to work too hard to figure it out. That only requires someone who reads. No special skills and each beta may see something different. Sometimes we see our own story so clearly that we forget that other's can't see into our heads LOL

All feedback is valuable except rude feedback. And it's absolutely fine to state when something isn't your thing. Even with those stories, we can find something we like. A phrase, an image etc.

If you're not comfortable doing a beta read, tell the other writer. They will either guide you into seeing the issue they need help with or they'll say, no problem at all! If you can't help with technical stuff like punctuation, it's okay to say that. I suck at it but thanks to a couple beta readers, I'm getting better.
Kali42 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kali42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by LilyCat LilyCat wrote:

I've worked as a proofreader and copy editor, so I'm comfortable being a beta reader. I can be harsh with my critiques though, because when you're working on a deadline for a publication you need to get sh*t done. I have to remember to tone it down here for new writers so they'll keep writing, not feel like I'm scolding them. 

I don't always swap with other writers. Sometimes I prefer to beta and not swap because I have other betas on my list outside of NYCM.

I try to remember to ask people how they like their critiques when I reply to their requests for beta. Mostly because I never want it toned down...I love it when people are direct with me.
spilledink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spilledink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by TheGlamWitch TheGlamWitch wrote:

Originally posted by Jeannine Jeannine wrote:

The way I see it all my betas give me value. Some focus on dialogue, some grammar, some readability. Either way, they all helped shape my editing. Even a simple "this is too wordy” can help ! -

I agree with this! Someone will need the things you see. Ask questions. If a sentence is bugging you, even if you don't know why, point it out. Do you spot plot holes like some people spot potholes? Then that's your superpower. All of it comes together to make us better writers. I think the other thing to point out is, as a beta, you can only do so much. Taking on too many (I'm guilty of it) requests for reads can make it difficult to provide quality feedback to everyone. So, don't over-extend yourself. My final piece of advice, I think giving feedback helps make us better writers. The things that jump out at us in others' writing, we can take note and eliminate from our own writing.
iBenj View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote iBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by spilledink spilledink wrote:

I think giving feedback helps make us better writers. The things that jump out at us in others' writing, we can take note and eliminate from our own writing.

This. 100% this.

I get a lot out of beta reading.
At its most basic, who doesn't love to read stories?
Then there's that sense of sneaky satisfaction in getting your hands on stories before everybody else.
There's the altuistic glow of supporting the community, while also building a personal network of writers that support each other.
You might even be cursed lucky enough to experience the heart-stopping terror thrilling excitement of waking up to see seven stories awaiting your attention in your inbox, as I was yesterday... (which, I might add, were all incredible pieces of work).

But every time I cast a critical eye over a new story, I become better at critiquing my own writing as well.

It's worth it, every time.
JenD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 7:22pm
This being my first writing entry ever, I ended up shying away from the beta. 1 because I wasn’t sure how to do it and 2 because I didn’t think it was a good idea mentally. Is it too late to get someone to read my baby step piece?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>