NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Inevetable Progress Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 49505152>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:55pm
while we're on the subject of publishing...is there a publishing mega-thread on here somewhere that all the old-timers know about? i don't want to reinvent the wheel by starting a new thread, and i know there's probably sites elsewhere that cover it in depth, but i figured by now there might be one of them 200 page mega-threads from before The Sameness where the Receiver of Memory wrote down all there is to know about publishing micro/flash/short fiction.

Edited by Deschain - 02 Feb 2023 at 1:59pm
dustygerg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustygerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by MartyEss MartyEss wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by theinquisitor theinquisitor wrote:

Originally posted by SumFemina SumFemina wrote:

Posting on the forum is not equivalent to publishing. 

...as long as you post in the subforums, not the public forum.

Tim is right. The sub forums are password protected - meaning that google or other search engines can't access them, so unpublished.

...or is the concern that someone on the forums will take the idea and run with it?  I'm paranoid enough to have worried a little each time I submit something that I like to the forums.  I value the forum feedback enough to trump the uneasiness, but...
There's over 6k people, so it's not unreasonable to assume there are at least a couple potential bad apples in the bunch.

Well, that was the concern, yes. I am okay with posting it here but the three people telling me that I need to keep the idea under wraps have me paranoid. For some reason, they think the idea is that unique. In my opinion, there is no such thing as 100% original ideas. They think I'm wrong. LOL I'll probably post it anyway. 
[https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r2-g15-romance-safe_topic51602.html] R2 G15 MF250
dustygerg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustygerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Deschain Deschain wrote:

Originally posted by dustygerg dustygerg wrote:

Haven't decided if Im going to post yet. My husband and two of my best author friends are wanting me to turn this into a full length story/ series and urging me to do it while I still have the motivation. So, I'm a bit befuddled. I guess it must be good?! Or it has the potential to be good? Must be the latter...but they're saying this knowing I have two other unfinished novels. And they're telling me to make this one the priority. 

I haven't even read anyone's stories yet. 

Congrats on the promising feedback! 

does posting to the forum mean you can't get it published? I've never published anything before, but I was thinking this one might be publishable. I know places have requirements about "no simultaneous submissions" and "can't be published elsewhere" but I didn't realize that could include posting to the forums. That's such a shame, I was thinking this story was at least good enough to be considered by publications, maybe good enough for a long rejection letter.

Sorry about not clarifying. You can still post on forum and publish later. 

They simply think the idea is good enough to work on and possibly publish. They don't want me to give idea to someone else even if that person could write it better ( and FASTER) than I can. LOL
 I'm not that paranoid because I enjoy feedback. Will most likely post it anyway. I can't wait to read yours! Hoping it was a therapeutic experience. Embarrassed
[https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r2-g15-romance-safe_topic51602.html] R2 G15 MF250
Pages View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:33pm

Tim is right. The sub forums are password protected - meaning that google or other search engines can't access them, so unpublished.

...or is the concern that someone on the forums will take the idea and run with it?  I'm paranoid enough to have worried a little each time I submit something that I like to the forums.  I value the forum feedback enough to trump the uneasiness, but...
There's over 6k people, so it's not unreasonable to assume there are at least a couple potential bad apples in the bunch.

Well, that was the concern, yes. I am okay with posting it here but the three people telling me that I need to keep the idea under wraps have me paranoid. For some reason, they think the idea is that unique. In my opinion, there is no such thing as 100% original ideas. They think I'm wrong. LOL I'll probably post it anyway. 

I understand the feeling of wanting to keep something under wraps and not share it until a significant portion has been written. There's the feeling that someone will steal the idea and be successful with it before you get the chance.

Years of writing has taught me that no matter what the idea is, nobody will implement it the same way as you will. Your narrative style will be totally different even if the plot line is the same.

Also, the whole 'there is no such thing as 100% original ideas', well, I disagree. I wrote a novel that I'm unable to find any comps for. I sent in a query letter to QueryShark who also said there aren't any novels that would compare to the idea, narrative style, and structure of mine. So, does that make my idea 100% original? Maybe. It also make it really hard to market.

My point is, if you're comfortable posting it to get feedback, then post it. If you'd rather keep it secret so you can nurse the idea, then do so. If you're worried someone might steal the idea and expand on it, well, there's the chance that'll happen but it won't be written like you'd write it.
MartyEss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyEss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Pages Pages wrote:

[QUOTE=dustygerg]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had that hint of unease, lol.
Thanks for bringing this up, it has always been unspoken here, as far as I have seen.

I hope you post, I am intrigued!!
dustygerg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustygerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 3:26pm

I understand the feeling of wanting to keep something under wraps and not share it until a significant portion has been written. There's the feeling that someone will steal the idea and be successful with it before you get the chance.

Years of writing has taught me that no matter what the idea is, nobody will implement it the same way as you will. Your narrative style will be totally different even if the plot line is the same.

Also, the whole 'there is no such thing as 100% original ideas', well, I disagree. I wrote a novel that I'm unable to find any comps for. I sent in a query letter to QueryShark who also said there aren't any novels that would compare to the idea, narrative style, and structure of mine. So, does that make my idea 100% original? Maybe. It also make it really hard to market.

My point is, if you're comfortable posting it to get feedback, then post it. If you'd rather keep it secret so you can nurse the idea, then do so. If you're worried someone might steal the idea and expand on it, well, there's the chance that'll happen but it won't be written like you'd write it.

Oh, that's great for you! Hopefully, someone will take a chance on it! 

As for me, thank you for reminding me that nobody has my writing voice. Good, bad, or ugly, it's mine. Nobody would execute it like I would. 

Edited by dustygerg - 03 Feb 2023 at 7:12am
dustygerg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustygerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 3:29pm

[QUOTE=dustygerg]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had that hint of unease, lol.
Thanks for bringing this up, it has always been unspoken here, as far as I have seen.

I hope you post, I am intrigued!!

Riiight? Leave it to me to be awkward and make it all uncomfortable in here. 
LOL

::Runs away in embarrassed shame.::
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 11:56pm
how many times have I posted on this thread? and I'm just now realizing the title is misspelled. I really do take off my writer hat and put on my critic hat at at 11:59 p.m. deadline day
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Deschain Deschain wrote:

how many times have I posted on this thread? and I'm just now realizing the title is misspelled. I really do take off my writer hat and put on my critic hat at at 11:59 p.m. deadline day

LOL. I am obsessive about spelling, so noticed it right up front. But I am also a disastrous typist, so I just figured it was a Random typo. (Pun 110% intended.)
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 12:05am

Sorry about not clarifying. You can still post on forum and publish later. 

They simply think the idea is good enough to work on and possibly publish. They don't want me to give idea to someone else even if that person could write it better ( and FASTER) than I can. LOL
 I'm not that paranoid because I enjoy feedback. Will most likely post it anyway. I can't wait to read yours! Hoping it was a therapeutic experience. Embarrassed

I totally get that. I came up with a deity/demigod character one time that I was certain must have an analogue somewhere in world folklore, or comic books, or fiction. I'm not the best researcher, but after several several hours of digging I couldn't find anything anywhere that's shared his unique characteristic. I still assume someone somewhere came up with a similar being, but I'm still actively guarding my secret. he got lost in my sprawling world that I worked on for way too long without making progress. maybe if I get the right prompt here I can one day unveil him.

anyway, I'm so out of my depth with getting ghost stories twice in two comps that I just go in assuming what I come up with has been done. I've now written more ghost stories than I've read, not counting posts on the forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 49505152>