NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Inevetable Progress Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrose1224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:51pm
I'm a mess and thought the deadline was tonight on 1/29/2023 for some reason!!! Oh well... at least I will get to enjoy the (American) football game championships tonight instead of scrambling for a deadline! 
mike450 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike450 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Mother of Chaos Mother of Chaos wrote:

Friday : I LOVE my genre, prompt, and character! This is gonna be easy! First time with great prompts!

Saturday: I have a GREAT idea!
Sunday - Wednesday: That idea SUCKSSSS. Try to write something anyway. 

Thursday: Oh Yes, THIS idea is perfect. Write Outline.
Friday: Work all day, plans all night. Zero writing.

Saturday: Emergency fill in at work. Start writing at 4pm. Decent draft at 9:30 but 3500 words. Cut, cut, cut. 2480 words at 1035 (central time). Struggle with title and synopsis at 1048. Struggle with uploading. Finally get confirmation at 11:01. 

Meh - found several typos after submittal. Just happy I finished something. I wish there was a 5000 word short story contest!

There is!  Look up The Masters Review.  In fact, the winter challenge is 6000 word max due end of day Tuesday.
VaughnieM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VaughnieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 5:03pm
Day 1 - despair at genre. No ideas.
Day 2 go out for the day, forget the competition
Day 3 start trying to put word on the page. Maybe a story idea will come.
Next few days, continue putting words on page. Nailed the Suspense genre, so well even I don’t know what’s going to happen.
Final day resign myself to not progressing but get a story done with little time to spare. Quick hour to run it through an editing tool. No time for beta readers so who knows.
However, that is what I like about these challenges they throw things at you you are not happy writing and you have to do it. 
Probably won’t be progressing but I have tried another new genre, which can only help my overall writing.
Good luck everyone.
dustygerg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustygerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Deschain Deschain wrote:

Originally posted by dustygerg dustygerg wrote:

Finally attacking my ghost story since abandoning it Monday. Not completely accurate since I jotted some inebriated notes on Thursday and changed two sentences yesterday. It's still quite a ways from being done but I tackled a couple of scenes today during a slow spell at work. I return home in a half hour. Hoping I can finish it by six and edit it a couple of times by nine or ten. I open at work again tomorrow so staying up until midnight would be most unacceptable. 

Says the slacker who barely looked at it for four days...Wink

Best of luck to everyone! 

good luck heatmate! mine's still missing some scenes. let's shoot for #1 and #2! or really i'll take 3-5, whatever i can get to move on to the next round

Hey, I'm okay with four and five! Not picky in the least!  My story was nuts but hoping that's in. Wink Was yours a typical ghost story, allegorical, or didja just go straight up parody? This is me, totally not admitting to three distinctive genres. LOL
[https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r2-g15-romance-safe_topic51602.html] R2 G15 MF250
nobodyowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Treena Treena wrote:

I'm at 2200 words and I don't think I used one political topic yet I'm hopping the chaos between parties is apparent. Would anyone be willing to beta read my story? It's unfinished but I could use feedback. I would be so appreciative! 

I thought your story was great!
nobodyowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 12:09am
Wow I'm a bit late to this topic but I managed to submit mine around 10:45pm after my computer gave me a scare when it wouldn't let me download the file to submit it 😂. This one was definitely the most challenging but also the most fun! 

Special thank you to all the amazing beta readers who helped me out with this especially when it came to title and synopsis as im terrible at them 😂

I had a lot of fun reading other stories in the beta swap as well so I can't wait for round 2! good luck everyone 
Mhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 6:40am
I was exhausted when I started so my character just fell asleep 😂
Kneazle View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kneazle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 5:53pm
I just read through my story. Holy typo Batman!
There were a lot of mistakes I missed.

I swear one day I'll finish a story for this contest with enough time to get a Beta read.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Kneazle Kneazle wrote:

I just read through my story. Holy typo Batman!
There were a lot of mistakes I missed.

I swear one day I'll finish a story for this contest with enough time to get a Beta read.

Yeah, it is all about planning a head. Contact a few people to see who could do a late read in the days leading up to the deadline. You can maybe do a read for them earlier and then when you finally sed to them they are ready for you. When I am doing a lot of betaing for others - flash fiction is short enough for that - I am usually on it right away and they have it back 15 min or so. The short Story is a much longer read so I keep my beta reading down to something manageable.
Paesano View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paesano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:57pm
Last year (my first year) I had a magnificently stressful week and didn't get the writing down until the Saturday. And I didn't have any idea what a beta reader was. I had a typo and got nailed by judges.

I was proud of my story but I feel that the typo knocked me out of advancing even if the judges liked my story (and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive, EVEN THOUGH none of them caught my big literary allusion).

This year, I was able to be more methodical with brainstorming, planning, researching, drafting and getting involved with two beta readers. So I am hoping we caught all the typos, and their feedback helped the story to be tight and well rounded. I just worry that I have too many characters (two or three main, two or three supporting) to flesh them out enough in the short space to please the judges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 52>