NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Inevetable Progress Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 52>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sqrlmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 3:17pm
Hit the submit button. Ta-da! I had a grand total of 1127 words. Which is more than I thought I’d get out of science fiction but it’s a story anyway. Phew. 
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Sqrlmom Sqrlmom wrote:

Hit the submit button. Ta-da! I had a grand total of 1127 words. Which is more than I thought I’d get out of science fiction but it’s a story anyway. Phew. 

You were 2 minutes ahead of me.

Apparently I have 2217 words. They may even be a story. 

It's is 7:20am local time and I am way too old to pull allnighters. Off to get some sleep and hopefully wake up in time to see what my betas come back with so I can submit an improved version.
AmbiDexter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmbiDexter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 4:01pm
Finally done! 2474 words, 4 drafts, and I’m tired. I got romance— I’m partial to horror— but I am super proud of how it turned out!
CHolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CHolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 4:10pm
I just hit submit on my first NYC Midnight entry! 2,500 words right on. 
One question, I had a submittable account from an old email address, not the email address I used to enter this contest. That old email address is where my confirmation email from NYC went. Will there be an issue with my original NYC midnight registration being a different email address than email the final story was summited with?
Aezekiel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aezekiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 4:58pm
I'm just over 2000 words and finishing up writing my ending. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
LilyCat View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:03pm
I'm at the nip-and-tuck phase. Word count is on target, but I need to trim some from the beginning to give more space at the end.

I hit up more betas than I usually do this time. I really want to get this draft tightened up before I submit.

CHartman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:07pm
I was done and ready to submit an hour ago and then a friend who read the story yesterday called to tell me she thinks I should kill of my MC at the end... and now I can't stop thinking about what that would look like.. 
Drib View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:14pm
Submitted.
4000 words yesterday.
2480 today.

It's so much tighter than the first draft. 

But is it any good? 

I can't tell anymore.

Good luck everyone.
sally316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:42pm
Submitted! 
I had 2498 words- right to the limit!  I had to trim here and there.  
This was my first time participating and I enjoyed it, although I'm not sure how "historical" my fiction was.  Can't wait to read others' submissions!
Treena View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:44pm
I realized I had arms race as my subject and only mentioned a weapon once. Is this something that needs to be explained, or can the outline of the satire be enough for the reader to know the subject? I can't even write anymore in proper sentences at this point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 52>