NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Inevetable Progress Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 52>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfuji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Nod usually gives herself ninety minutes.  An hour to write, fifteen to edit, five to submit, and ten to write her speech for the Pulitzer awards banquet.

LOL 90 minutes! That seems generous. Nod churns words out faster than a speeding train. Or a bullet. Or bullets whizzing past the speeding train. Or...
jacksilver View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:34am
Woo!! Submitted a draft after my first round of betas came through.

Never written a horror story before (one comedy horror parody feature in my distant past) .. so hoping it’s somewhere near the mark.
BethanyDawn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BethanyDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:48am
Finally, FINALLY have a rough draft completed. This story really wanted me to work for it. 

Now to awkwardly give my brain time to breathe before coming in to kill my darlings. 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by sfuji sfuji wrote:

Nod usually gives herself ninety minutes.  An hour to write, fifteen to edit, five to submit, and ten to write her speech for the Pulitzer awards banquet.

LOL 90 minutes! That seems generous. Nod churns words out faster than a speeding train. Or a bullet. Or bullets whizzing past the speeding train. Or...

Trust me, if Nod writes it the bullets do not go past the speeding train. 
This sig intentionally blank
Cgonya View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cgonya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 1:02pm
I submitted mine after an agonizing bout impostor syndrome combined with having never written horror before. I can say that I am comfortable with it. Thank you to everyone who told me about Magnus Archives. That seriously helped me a lot.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 2:52pm

Words? Are we doing words already? It feels way too early for words...
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Words? Are we doing words already? It feels way too early for words...

No, now is time to go back to the South Shore for some serious thinking therapy. 

It gets cold there this time of year, doesn't it?  Water's not quite what I remember from Cocoa Beach.
This sig intentionally blank
Paesano View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paesano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 3:48pm
I was not excited about political satire - and the other prompts hit a little too close to home with some personal trauma - but I am proud of my progress! I have a complete draft and I cut it down from 2611 words to under 2500 as of last night.

I took a couple of days to ruminate and brainstorm, a day to research and a couple more days to narrow down story ideas and sketch out an outline. Drafting took about two days and here I am! 

I started out with, "I can do a lot with 2,500 words" and I am down to "If only I had another 5,000 words I could really bang this out."
Treena View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 4:00pm
Would someone be able to help me understand the formatting requirements for a short story? Do we start a new sentence every time someone speaks? Do we have to indent the start of a conversation? I haven't written a short story for judging so any feedback would be appreciated.

lgeverdell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgeverdell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 4:07pm
I have no idea what happened. But literally immediately after I admitted to myself I wouldn’t be able to submit, I suddenly had a complete first draft within the word count! So I guess I’d just been psyching myself out the whole time and as soon as I relaxed and was just doing it for fun - bam! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 52>