NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Inevetable Progress Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 52>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by iBenj iBenj wrote:

Originally posted by crez crez wrote:

Any thoughts on the importance of physically describing the main character? I've just noticed that I don't describe anywhere what my main character looks like, although her age and occupation are made clear enough. 

I could probably squeeze in a few details somewhere, but her appearance is not remotely relevant to the story. Is it considered poor writing to leave the character's physical description entirely up to the reader's imagination?

I find physical descriptions are often badly executed - either cliched or waaaay too detailed (I really don't care that the killer's uncle had hairy feet).

Plus I'm really good at just forgetting (or running out of space) to add "interesting but unimportant details" to my writing. This time around, I realised at the last minute that I'd created an unusually solid visual impression of two out of the three characters in my story. The third had no physical description whatsoever. He's the central character. Oops.

My excuse is that letting readers create their own image of characters helps them to identify with the characters.

I don't include anything in any description that's not important to the story, and don't include that description until it becomes important.  In one case you find out the character's eye color 50,000 words in, because it didn't matter until then.

Most of my characters feel honored just to have a name.
This sig intentionally blank
Betzer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Betzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by crez crez wrote:

Any thoughts on the importance of physically describing the main character? I've just noticed that I don't describe anywhere what my main character looks like, although her age and occupation are made clear enough. 

I could probably squeeze in a few details somewhere, but her appearance is not remotely relevant to the story. Is it considered poor writing to leave the character's physical description entirely up to the reader's imagination?

I know this has been answered but I’ll put my two cents in! Honestly, I think it’s a sign of a very mature writer that you automatically don’t describe the irrelevant details. Pretty much every author piece of advice I’ve seen on this subject says to never describe a character’s appearance unless it serves a purpose (that includes characterization or setting the vibe for a character, but it can also be details that are relevant to the story). I am a strong subscriber to that theory; it’s not poor writing at all, you are actually ahead of the game!
SS2022 R1 Story: The Black Sheep

SS2023 R1: The Wee Shepherd
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 9:55pm
Submitted.  Twice.  The delta was three characters, which is the only difference between two character's names if I use the right versions.  Bah!  I knew about that and thought I had fixed it.

What I haven't fixed is the title, because that's awful, and the synopsis, which is so bad I might get disqualified before the judges get to the actual story. 

Now I get a few hours of blissful relaxation before self-loathing kicks in, because would could possibly think such a mismatched pile of unrelated grunts is a worthy submission?
LBremer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBremer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:01pm
I'm struggling... and I mean really struggling. I'm over thinking all of it and changed my idea 5 times. I just can't seem to actually start writing anything. 

I've got SPY/COLLATERAL DAMAGE/A RIFLEMAN but I don't want to write something predictable arghhhh. Any ideas for starting to type? I'm just staring at a blank word doc. 😳 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:03pm

Haha, I have unleashed the words!!!
I was trapped in screenwriting mode. Had completely forgotten how
to write prose - very strange feeling. 
legendberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legendberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:08pm
I am maybe halfway done and I was SO proud of myself because usually I am writing/editing up until Friday 11:59:58 but then I remembered I have DnD on Friday all night which means I have to be done by Thursday which means I am essentially back to writing last minute Cry

also this story is 80% dialogue and 20% "[insert plot and description here]" so if someone could make these characters less chatty that would be great Tongue

Edited by legendberry - 25 Jan 2023 at 10:09pm
Treena View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:15pm
Write something predictable.  It'll still be your thoughts and I can guarantee words will flow after your first few sentences.  I'm in the same situation as you. I'm overthinking and freaking myself out and have started and stopped multiple times.
Think about something you're interested in. A store you passed by recently or the woman you saw standing at the bus stop. Words will come. You still have lots of time. 
snuffles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snuffles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:16pm
Quote I've got SPY/COLLATERAL DAMAGE/A RIFLEMAN but I don't want to write something predictable arghhhh. Any ideas for starting to type? I'm just staring at a blank word doc. 

Have the spy on a mission to disable a new type of rifle. He gets to the rifle and disables it. He's then chased around the base and somehow comes across a rifle dropped by one of the riflemen. He picks it up and fires it. At the last moment he discovers it was the rifle he sabotaged and it blows up, making him the collateral damage. 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by LBremer LBremer wrote:

I'm struggling... and I mean really struggling. I'm over thinking all of it and changed my idea 5 times. I just can't seem to actually start writing anything. 

I've got SPY/COLLATERAL DAMAGE/A RIFLEMAN but I don't want to write something predictable arghhhh. Any ideas for starting to type? I'm just staring at a blank word doc. 😳 

My blank document gets filled, usually first, with snippets of dialog or description

Chuck fired the rifle from the hip.  The round went through the center of the washer and tore a perfect hole through the tape, the grease ring clear proof this was no sleight of hand.

The bullet tore through the building, but ricocheted off the edge of a roofing nail and landed in the general store, where a cask of black powder fell into a basket of flints.   The explosion set off the rest of the powder, and a mushroom cloud filled the space where once the only supply of Red Man chewing tobacco once stood.

MacDingus MacArthur looked at Chuck.  "You gonna pay fer that, mister."

Edited by Random - 25 Jan 2023 at 10:24pm
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Haha, I have unleashed the words!!!
I was trapped in screenwriting mode. Had completely forgotten how
to write prose - very strange feeling. 

Oh, I know that feeling.  At least I did until I realized I don't like screenplay, which is what originally got me into writing oddly enough.  My prose was always written with screenplay in mind, so everything had to be show and tell; no inner conflict or thoughts allowed.

Then I found out inner dialog is cool.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 52>