NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Inevetable Progress Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 52>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:45pm
I have HistFic, and neither of my prompts lend themselves to a specific era. I think I've settled in the 1980's, but it's disconcerting to think of historical fiction being set while I was in college.
I have an idea and have written a couple hundred words.
Time to research.
SumFemina View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SumFemina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by thebatinthehat thebatinthehat wrote:

Originally posted by SumFemina SumFemina wrote:

Couldn't come up with a worthy plot in the first 17 hours. Despaired. Awoke at 3 am today. Figured something out between 4 and 5. Yay!!! 

I owe thanks to whomever posted that tomato story link. That made me see Spy through a whole new lens.

But I can't write just yet. The Writers Weekly one day contest is on, and I have to write for that one first!

Tomato story... I'm curious. Lol Do you still have the link?

From the inimitable @zoelou

@Reasonably_Crazy placed first with a flash spy story about an Amish man who discovers a secret: https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch2-gr38-the-lords-bounty_topic35804_page1.html. Goodbye James Bond - there's no crazy spy gadgets or government intrigue here.
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

No progress, found out friend in Italy died and her dog needs a home (if any of you are in the EU and would like to adopt a nice Irish setter who is 13 years old, please advise), spent much of afternoon trying to find a solution, came up with some story ideas but not many, fingers crossed for tomorrow.

But - I never get anything done the first day of this one. I also never do well in this one. I'm sure those to are unrelated LOL

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, and for your loss. I would happily take an Irish setter (might be my favorite breed, used to have one) but at 13 he might not be up to traveling to the US and learning a new language. Wishing him (her?) the best new furever home.

Is there any chance you could write your story in your friend's memory? 
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:57pm
Spent the first 20 hours or so hating my prompts and being completely uninspired. Then a few random thoughts occurred . . then gelled . . and now I have something I kind of can't wait to write. I just hope it doesn't wind up being one of those "perfect in my head, perfectly awful in the execution" kind of things . . . 
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

. . . Turn in on Sunday, hate myself on Monday.

Isn't the deadline on Saturday (11:59 pm NYC time) for this one? Not to wreck your plans, but . . . 
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

. . . Turn in on Sunday, hate myself on Monday.

Isn't the deadline on Saturday (11:59 pm NYC time) for this one? Not to wreck your plans, but . . . 

Oh, sweet!  That means I can kick the self-loathing into high gear a day early!

It also means Sunday is free to do other things.
This sig intentionally blank
RoaringK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoaringK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:33pm
147 Horror/Royalty/Opportunist 

Regurgitated the ideas into a slop of a partial draft. 
RoaringK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoaringK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:34pm
That is my fear as well!
crez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:37pm
I have the first 409 words of the story, which is weird because I usually write the middle or the end first. I have an outline for the rest. 

I think my plot is solid, but somehow the story itself is looking pretty blah. I think my main character could use a personality injection.
WhistlerCrowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 10:40pm
I've got Mystery, Summer School, and A boyfriend.
From midnight to 2ish last night, I wandered aimlessly through the forum. 
At 2 am I wrote the first two sentences in an insomnia-induced fever dream. At noon I re-read what I wrote and somehow realized the who and what of the story. The where is half-formed (I at least have the vague shape of the two settings), and the how and why are alluding me. I need to do some in-depth research on some specific mythologies and rituals, and then tomorrow night I'm going to start writing the story in earnest. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 52>