NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does all horror need a content warning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 3:46pm
I typically say "no horror" when I put my name on the beta list, but this time I had to write horror, so... I wrote something that wasn't overtly violent and focused instead on psychological horror, not graphic.

I did decline to beta a story that triggered some of my PTSD, but there's no way the writer would have known about it as it was personal to me, not a common trigger. And that author wasn't writing horror, so it wasn't on them to post any warnings, IMO. It was on me to back away and let it go.

annemarie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annemarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 4:01pm
In my opinion, anyone who reads a horror story should expect some level of violence and gore.  Unless your story deals with some really specific scenes (child abuse, animal torture or the like), I'd say no.
SS R1 Mystery
Rhyming R2 Romance
mistressposte View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistressposte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 7:25pm
This is a great question. When I entered the FF (1000 words, I think) I assumed that horror didn't need a CW. But some of the negative feedback was about the violence - it never occurred to me that that could be an issue. However, a CW means that your story will only be shared with judges who are happy to read that kind of content so I will definitely include one moving forward. 

Edited by mistressposte - 28 Jan 2023 at 7:26pm
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 11:52pm
NYCM organizers, if you read this: THANK YOU for adding a space for content warnings on the main submission page! It's a sincere relief to be able to write about difficult topics while giving the courtesy of a warning to judges. I am diagnosed with PTSD, and content warnings truly matter for people who are in different stages of healing from trauma. I'm honestly really heartened to see NYCM display such respect and regard for their readers.

I'm just so relieved and so happy. What a great addition Embarrassed Clap Thank you Charlie and co.! 
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12