NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Challenges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Deschain Deschain wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

does anyone know a term of endearment a russian mother might use when comforting her young daughter? something like "sweetie"

In Russian?

Solnyshka?
The diminutive of her name, because Russians love diminutives?  The go so far as to invent them on the fly.
There are lots of possibilities.

i think her name already is a diminutive...dasha? not married to that name. i dont even know how russian it is. it just reminded me of dacha, which is what my ukrainian family called their cottage in the country when i was there several years ago.

I think "dochka" (little daughter) might work, but I'm not sure of all the cultural connotations.

Edited by crez - 25 Jan 2023 at 10:41pm
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 10:47pm

does anyone know a term of endearment a russian mother might use when comforting her young daughter? something like "sweetie"

In Russian?

Solnyshka?
The diminutive of her name, because Russians love diminutives?  The go so far as to invent them on the fly.

i think her name already is a diminutive...dasha? not married to that name. i dont even know how russian it is. it just reminded me of dacha, which is what my ukrainian family called their cottage in the country when i was there several years ago.

Dacha is not really a name, and in fact if you named your kid that in Russia they might have something to say about it. 

They pick from a really limited list of names traditionally.  In the last ten or fifteen years people have found it trendy to use other names, but you're still not going to find a Dacha.  Maybe a western name, because using English words is also trendy.

Even when there's a perfectly good Russian word for the same thing, though some days I think Russian is a mash-up of English and German.  They use gastarbiter for guest worker.

It's 'cool' to throw English in conversation to show how smart you are.

Anastasia's diminutive is usually Nastya, which is close enough to 'Nasty' that I won't use it.  I hate using pejoratives for people, even if they don't realize what or why.  The accent is on the -nas- by the way.  A-NAS-ta-sia
This sig intentionally blank
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 1:04am

In Russian?

Solnyshka?

Dacha is not really a name, and in fact if you named your kid that in Russia they might have something to say about it. 

They pick from a really limited list of names traditionally.  In the last ten or fifteen years people have found it trendy to use other names, but you're still not going to find a Dacha.  Maybe a western name, because using English words is also trendy.

Even when there's a perfectly good Russian word for the same thing, though some days I think Russian is a mash-up of English and German.  They use gastarbiter for guest worker.

It's 'cool' to throw English in conversation to show how smart you are.

Anastasia's diminutive is usually Nastya, which is close enough to 'Nasty' that I won't use it.  I hate using pejoratives for people, even if they don't realize what or why.  The accent is on the -nas- by the way.  A-NAS-ta-sia

"Dasha" is a nickname for Daria.

There. I did something productive today. (Well, I did many productive things, and I have two words written. Okay a name. It's something.)
Sqrlmom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sqrlmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 1:58am
Group 160 here. Sci-Fi Dead Substitute teacher/memorabilia

I just started writing it today (after aborting another idea) and just letting words fly. Just enough not-quite-terrestrial plot twist to conform to the genre (I hope- I never read or watch the stuff) I’m going to hole up in library, I think, to ensure minimal distractions. The stories don’t HAVE to be 2,500 words, right? That’s just these maximum alllowed, right?
Sqrlmom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sqrlmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 2:20am
Dasha could be Dashenka Smile
nobodyowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 2:24am
So somehow, I managed to get a working plot and story and I actually love it after having hated it the entire time I was writing it but now I face another problem. 

The Title/Synopsis, why is it these two little things that are maybe 30 words at most are more intimidating than writing the actual story? 

Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 8:24am

The name I have is Dasha, not dacha. I was a foreign exchange student in Ukraine in the 90s, and my exchange family had a flat in Kyiv (Kiev back then) and a "dacha" in the countryside.

I googled Dasha and the first three celebrities that popped up had Russian (or eastern European) surnames, so I think it works culturally. And the story's setting is a house in a small Ukrainian village, so I like that little double meaning with Dasha, even if it's one that pretty much nobody would pick up on.
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 8:35am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

"Dasha" is a nickname for Daria.

There. I did something productive today. (Well, I did many productive things, and I have two words written. Okay a name. It's something.)

Thank you! That sort of works the other way in the scene. The mother is trying to comfort Dasha because the father just sent her to her room. So I don't think I'll be able to work this detail in for 2500 words, but if I expand later then it's perfect for the father to call her Daria when sending her to her room. (I think the judges might conclude I made a typo if I don't include an explanation for the name change, but I really love this story and plan on revising it later.)
samanthier View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samanthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 5:50pm
Stuck on mine (Comedy/ Product Placement/ scholarship holder). Is there a minimum number of words because I'm really floundering on this one. 

I considered just doing it as a comedy about a scholarship holder and then just having a LOT of product references so like every few sentences it mentions a brand or they randomly are like, "Pepsi is the best thing ever" in dialogue out of nowhere. Maybe even with 4th wall breaks? I don't know. But I don't know if that would count as the subject. 
samanthier View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samanthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 6:02pm

zajka - bunny
solnyshko - sunshine
úmnitsa - good girl
púpsik - cutie
zólotse - precious
yagatka - sweetie
dochen'ka - daughter/darling daughter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>