FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Writing Challenges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing Challenges
    Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 8:20pm
oh man, looking up more about Babka and the word is even better for the context: "A babka is a sweet braided bread which originated in the Jewish communities of Poland and Ukraine." Thank you so much @Samanthier! if only my other 2499 words could be this perfect....
crez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Aezekiel Aezekiel wrote:

Originally posted by crez crez wrote:

Originally posted by Deschain Deschain wrote:

Originally posted by samanthier samanthier wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

zajka - bunny
solnyshko - sunshine
úmnitsa - good girl
púpsik - cutie
zólotse - precious
yagatka - sweetie
dochen'ka - daughter/darling daughter

I can neither confirm nor deny one of those is what my wife calls me all the time.
That's kind of comforting. I don't actually speak any language other than English, so I'm just relying on my friends being honest about word meanings and not secretly teaching me to curse when I'm just asking how to say hello. LOL

My wife is a native Russian speaker.  I might disagree about a definition or two, but close enough  Big smile

thank you so much! i was kind of trying to find an english word with a russian flavor. the original word that popped into my head was "dumpling" (which I now realize sounds good but looks terrible, kind of like "no one" LOL) but then my mind started wondering if dumplings were specifically Asian cuisine, and maybe they don't have dumplings, or maybe dumplings are called something else.

i do really appreciate all the help though with the Russian words. but i think it's going to interrupt the flow too much to use a Russian word in that spot. what i'm really searching for is an English word with similar connotation to sweetie or dumpling, but has a decidedly Russian flavor. 

if i have time i'll just watch Masha and the Bear for the 20th time with my girls. I'm sure the word I seek is in there somewhere LOL.

I might still use one of those names. i'm starting to care less about the judges and more about my characters, especially Dasha. she's awesome. i don't want her to get sent to bed without some cute epithet from her mom to let her know everything will be alright.
Babka? It's a type of sweet, braided bread. Or pierogi which essentially is a dumpling. Blini? It's like a crepe. 

BABKA!!!!!!!! that's it!!!!!! we ate babka when i was there. thank you so much!

I'm pretty sure 'Babka' also means 'grandma' though...

That's babushka lol

My husband called his Russian grandmothers both "Babka," but his family definitely spoke a regional dialect.
Aezekiel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aezekiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by crez crez wrote:

zajka - bunny
solnyshko - sunshine
úmnitsa - good girl
púpsik - cutie
zólotse - precious
yagatka - sweetie

I can neither confirm nor deny one of those is what my wife calls me all the time.
That's kind of comforting. I don't actually speak any language other than English, so I'm just relying on my friends being honest about word meanings and not secretly teaching me to curse when I'm just asking how to say hello. LOL

My wife is a native Russian speaker.  I might disagree about a definition or two, but close enough  Big smile

thank you so much! i was kind of trying to find an english word with a russian flavor. the original word that popped into my head was "dumpling" (which I now realize sounds good but looks terrible, kind of like "no one" LOL) but then my mind started wondering if dumplings were specifically Asian cuisine, and maybe they don't have dumplings, or maybe dumplings are called something else.

i do really appreciate all the help though with the Russian words. but i think it's going to interrupt the flow too much to use a Russian word in that spot. what i'm really searching for is an English word with similar connotation to sweetie or dumpling, but has a decidedly Russian flavor. 

if i have time i'll just watch Masha and the Bear for the 20th time with my girls. I'm sure the word I seek is in there somewhere LOL.

I might still use one of those names. i'm starting to care less about the judges and more about my characters, especially Dasha. she's awesome. i don't want her to get sent to bed without some cute epithet from her mom to let her know everything will be alright.
Babka? It's a type of sweet, braided bread. Or pierogi which essentially is a dumpling. Blini? It's like a crepe. 

That's babushka lol
crez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:35pm

zajka - bunny
solnyshko - sunshine
úmnitsa - good girl
púpsik - cutie
zólotse - precious
yagatka - sweetie

Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:29pm

zajka - bunny
solnyshko - sunshine
úmnitsa - good girl
púpsik - cutie
zólotse - precious
yagatka - sweetie

Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:23pm

zajka - bunny
solnyshko - sunshine
úmnitsa - good girl
púpsik - cutie
zólotse - precious
yagatka - sweetie

Pierogi is Polish, Pelmeni is Russian.  Vareneki is a variant.  Monte is central Asian.  Various people will argue where all those originated, and in fact there was a lawsuit over the origins of Vodka.  That's how serious people can get about things that don't matter all that much.

This sig intentionally blank
samanthier View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samanthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:04pm

zajka - bunny
solnyshko - sunshine
úmnitsa - good girl
púpsik - cutie
zólotse - precious
yagatka - sweetie

Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 6:54pm
also i need to stop writing an essay in my head about why "dumpling" sounds good but looks bad.

maybe in addition to the "weirdest thing you googled" thread we can do a "weirdest distracting thought" thread......
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 6:45pm

zajka - bunny
solnyshko - sunshine
úmnitsa - good girl
púpsik - cutie
zólotse - precious
yagatka - sweetie

Edited by Deschain - 26 Jan 2023 at 6:51pm
VaughnieM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VaughnieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 6:43pm
So I have my first draft. I think we hit the brief. Suspense, door to door and a farmhand.

What have I learned. - Suspense is not my forte. The biggest part of the suspense was that even I was in suspense as I had no idea where the story was going until it got there. It is weak at the end. I didn’t want to over explain so I under explained and ran out of words anyway.

I will leave it tonight do a quick rewrite tomorrow, submit and wait for the inevitable failure to progress. This was by far the hardest challenge I have had and I thought I was bad at horror.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>