NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SS R1 Prompts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 31>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by ErikaM ErikaM wrote:

G69

Genre: Mystery

Subject: Siren song

Character: an organ donor

I think these prompts broke my brain. I spent the first day and a half trying to make an idea work that didn't, and the last day and a half with an idea that I like but I bit off WAY MORE THAN I CAN CHEW with the plot and am trying to wrestle it into something I can work with.

Is this contest always an emotional roller coaster? Asking for a friend.

To answer your question: yes, but not always in that exact way. There are many, many roller coasters in this particular amusement park.

Also, after finishing my draft (which was just over 2500 words) my characters demanded that I write a "Part 2." The whole piece in its entirety is just over 7000 words, but the first 2500 comprise a complete story... but seriously... there I was, writing and writing and writing instead of editing for the contest. I'm glad we have a whole week. LOL
alelha View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alelha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by shanan187 shanan187 wrote:

I wasn't going to participate. I really wasn't. But something told me to sign up on the day the prompts dropped. I got group 53, fantasy, abundant, a painter. I am so NOT disappointed. And it's definitely the earliest I've ever submitted for SSC. It's also the first time I've felt the need to add content warnings. LOL

I'm in your group too! So far I have a very messy (and pretty terrible) first draft but with 3 more days left I may be able to whip it into shape.
shanan187 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by alelha alelha wrote:

I wasn't going to participate. I really wasn't. But something told me to sign up on the day the prompts dropped. I got group 53, fantasy, abundant, a painter. I am so NOT disappointed. And it's definitely the earliest I've ever submitted for SSC. It's also the first time I've felt the need to add content warnings. LOL

I'm in your group too! So far I have a very messy (and pretty terrible) first draft but with 3 more days left I may be able to whip it into shape.

You got this!! Can't wait to read where the prompts led you :)
MGlass View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MGlass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 6:29pm
Interesting - I got crime caper, puppet and mailroom for flash fiction round 2 in 2022. What's with the puppets and crime capers??
ErikaM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 8:46pm

Originally posted by ErikaM ErikaM wrote:

G69

Genre: Mystery

Subject: Siren song

Character: an organ donor

I think these prompts broke my brain. I spent the first day and a half trying to make an idea work that didn't, and the last day and a half with an idea that I like but I bit off WAY MORE THAN I CAN CHEW with the plot and am trying to wrestle it into something I can work with.

Is this contest always an emotional roller coaster? Asking for a friend.

To answer your question: yes, but not always in that exact way. There are many, many roller coasters in this particular amusement park.

Also, after finishing my draft (which was just over 2500 words) my characters demanded that I write a "Part 2." The whole piece in its entirety is just over 7000 words, but the first 2500 comprise a complete story... but seriously... there I was, writing and writing and writing instead of editing for the contest. I'm glad we have a whole week. LOL

I love that your characters demanded a part two to finish their story! I hope you post both so we can see where they took you! 
MeiHem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeiHem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 8:56pm
G25 - Thriller | Self-Sacrifice | An Alpinist

I've spent five days starting six or seven dud drafts before finally finding a story to tell. I really didn't want to take the obvious road of "mountain climbers experience a struggle and someone dies to save the rest" because I'm sure there will be plenty of good ones in that vein and I don't need that kind of competition haha. Thriller has been significantly harder than I imagined, and I almost regret begging the universe to give me something exciting.

That said, seeing that "puppet" is a subject......I'm suddenly much happier with my group assignment. I hate puppets/dolls xD
Rlswriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rlswriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 5:58am
It was meant for you. She's not on the forum which is why you haven't seen another post about wine.
awinchester View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awinchester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 6:26am
Originally posted by MeiHem MeiHem wrote:

G25 - Thriller | Self-Sacrifice | An Alpinist

I've spent five days starting six or seven dud drafts before finally finding a story to tell. I really didn't want to take the obvious road of "mountain climbers experience a struggle and someone dies to save the rest" because I'm sure there will be plenty of good ones in that vein and I don't need that kind of competition haha. Thriller has been significantly harder than I imagined, and I almost regret begging the universe to give me something exciting.

That said, seeing that "puppet" is a subject......I'm suddenly much happier with my group assignment. I hate puppets/dolls xD

I'm not sure whether I should be excited or intimidated to find someone else in my group (a little column A, a little column B), but I struggled with the same thing: That is clearly the obvious route, and there will likely be several going in that direction much more successfully than I ever could (as a non-alpinist with no actual mountains in my entire country). I've also taken a different approach -- at least, so far. But I'm doubting whether I can make it all the way through, because thriller is HARD! I'm more of a slow burn writer. Anyway, best of luck!
jerryjray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryjray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:51am
Ghost Story / An intervention / Masked man

My first time and would love to know how flexible my interpretation of "an intervention" could be or if I'll be disqualified for taking it outside the popular definition?
any advice would be greatly appreciated Star 
LivStrom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivStrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 2:18pm
Submitted my horror, preparedness, a magnate story. Shocked to still have days left on the countdown but don't think more nitpicking and contemplating horrible things will improve the story. Now I want the forum to open.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 31>