NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SS R1 Prompts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by shanan187 shanan187 wrote:

Originally posted by Proteus Proteus wrote:

G48
Genre: Sci-Fi
Subject: An Infomercial
Character: A deadbeat

First timer here. At first the prompt filled me with dread. After staring into space for an indeterminate amount of time, things started clicking.

Now I'm just trying to convince myself that I didn't read it wrong. Once I've done that I will submit. At which time I will try to convince myself I didn't submit it wrong.

After 9 years of doing these contests, I've only just stopped second-guessing whether or not I read my prompt correctly in the last year. I also used to absolutely agonize over the deadline-driven contest. The only advice I can give is, just have fun with it. You're doing it right, I promise.

A kindred soul! Your words make me feel less alone in the universe.

robcunn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robcunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by dtill359 dtill359 wrote:

G188
Romcom
Outdated
A mediator

Same. How'd you do? I personally would rather any genre before romcom. I feel like I cursed myself. But I gave it a shot and came up with...something.
SSC2023 R1, G188 RomCom/Outdated/Mediator: The Empath & the Sorcerer
MagsWrites View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagsWrites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:05pm
Grp 200
Historical Fiction
Run of the Mill
A plug ugly

I'm so stuck. This is also so far out of my normal zone. I have everything from Peaky Blinders to Whitey Bulger to Good Fellas and the Sopranos playing around in my head. I 100% had planned on writing this earlier in the week so I could ask a beta to review and provide feedback or edits. 

Yet here I am again, the night before it's due, and I still have random people in my head and zero words on pages. 

I'll never outgrow my college days LOL
Silverlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:41pm
I swore a solemn oath that I would not complain about my prompt unless I got Political Satire.

I got Drama.  I can live with Drama.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Silverlock Silverlock wrote:

I swore a solemn oath that I would not complain about my prompt unless I got Political Satire.

I got Drama.  I can live with Drama.

That makes it a good day, Shandon.
This sig intentionally blank
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagsWrites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Anthea123 Anthea123 wrote:

Originally posted by Sara.E.Tall Sara.E.Tall wrote:

Originally posted by awinchester awinchester wrote:

Originally posted by Sara.E.Tall Sara.E.Tall wrote:

I read through the whole thing hoping to find some heat mates, but no luck. I was hoping to find others who could share in my pain.

Group 135
Historical Fiction
A Shellacking
A latecomer

I had no idea what Shellacking meant and I'm not sure I actually included it my story... guess we'll see what the judges think.

That's a mighty tough set of prompts! All I can picture for "a shellacking" is, like, smearing mod-podge onto cocktail napkins to glue them onto rocks in summer camp as a kid. Not exactly the elements of a compelling story. I wish you luck!

Supposedly it also means decisive defeat, so I went with that. My interpretation still might be too vague though, but I've decided to risk it. Confused

That is a mighty tricky set of prompts.
I'm Aussie and shellacking is a common but colloquial word for me. We'd use it like this:
(commonly sports, but any competition as someone else said)

"They thought they had our number but we gave them a right shellacking."

American here - I've used shellacking in the way that you have described it. 
In the prompts provided it would have been in use in the US for sporting or political use well in our past. 40s or 50s era maybe? it would have been an unevenly matched set of opponents. Also used in a verbal or written beat down. Such as "After Truman shellacked his running mate in the debate over the latest Washington Scandal..."
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagsWrites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Jenentine Jenentine wrote:

This might be a dumb question, but is it too much to include the subject word in the story? For example, my subject is disposable. Would I be beating the judges over the head with it if I included the word disposable in my story? 

Nope! I did this last year within my story. My subject was "rebranding" I mentioned the word and then worked the plot around the action of rebranding kitchen tools that weren't being used as kitchen tools. I placed as an Honorable Mention. 

The main thing is to have more than just the word mentioned. You have to have it be a part of the plot. Is is a disposable character? A disposable date? And then work from there.
Silverlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Nice one!

*high five*
Alyxbee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyxbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 9:02am
Originally posted by robcunn robcunn wrote:

Originally posted by dtill359 dtill359 wrote:

G188
Romcom
Outdated
A mediator

Same. How'd you do? I personally would rather any genre before romcom. I feel like I cursed myself. But I gave it a shot and came up with...something.

Moooood. Romcom feels like so much work, and i dont actually know how to squeeze two full genres into one but I also... added one?  Lmao. I like my story but i really dont like landing the genre
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Silverlock Silverlock wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Nice one!

*high five*

My favorite book, because all the other favorite books are built in.  The first line is...perfect.

I loaned my marked up paperback copy to someone and never got it back (they have never been forgiven).  Nobody touches the hardcover.
This sig intentionally blank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031>