NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SS R1 Prompts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 31>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Deschain Deschain wrote:

Originally posted by halium halium wrote:

Originally posted by Sara.E.Tall Sara.E.Tall wrote:

I read through the whole thing hoping to find some heat mates, but no luck. I was hoping to find others who could share in my pain.

Group 135
Historical Fiction
A Shellacking
A latecomer

I had no idea what Shellacking meant and I'm not sure I actually included it my story... guess we'll see what the judges think.

I think I might have found a heatmate for you. Wink They're called Dena Linn. The 'latecomer' rang a bell in for a post I read in another thread.

https://forums.nycmidnight.com/the-inevetable-progress-thread_topic51680_page18.html

You've got a tough set of prompts! Shellacking is such a niche word unless it has another meaning I was not aware of. All the best!

Shellacking has the literal definition of putting a coat of shellac (varnish) on something, but also it's used figuratively to describe a one-sided result in a contest. so you can say "I shellacked the deck chairs yesterday" or "The Eagles shellacked The Giants last Sunday by a score of 38-7." I see the figurative sense most often in sports, but it works for any contest, i.e. "Candidate X shellacked Candidate Y in the elections last week."

Oh! I've never seen "shellac" used in the competition sense! (non-native speaker here) Learned something new today. Thank you!
Sara.E.Tall View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara.E.Tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 1:18am
Originally posted by awinchester awinchester wrote:

I read through the whole thing hoping to find some heat mates, but no luck. I was hoping to find others who could share in my pain.

Group 135
Historical Fiction
A Shellacking
A latecomer

I had no idea what Shellacking meant and I'm not sure I actually included it my story... guess we'll see what the judges think.

That's a mighty tough set of prompts! All I can picture for "a shellacking" is, like, smearing mod-podge onto cocktail napkins to glue them onto rocks in summer camp as a kid. Not exactly the elements of a compelling story. I wish you luck!

Supposedly it also means decisive defeat, so I went with that. My interpretation still might be too vague though, but I've decided to risk it. Confused
Anthea123 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 1:25am

Group 135
Historical Fiction
A Shellacking
A latecomer

That's a mighty tough set of prompts! All I can picture for "a shellacking" is, like, smearing mod-podge onto cocktail napkins to glue them onto rocks in summer camp as a kid. Not exactly the elements of a compelling story. I wish you luck!

Supposedly it also means decisive defeat, so I went with that. My interpretation still might be too vague though, but I've decided to risk it. Confused

That is a mighty tricky set of prompts.
I'm Aussie and shellacking is a common but colloquial word for me. We'd use it like this:
(commonly sports, but any competition as someone else said)

"They thought they had our number but we gave them a right shellacking."
Kali42 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kali42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 2:00am
Group 203
Fantasy/underreporting/an archer
CHartman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 2:08am

Group 135
Historical Fiction
A Shellacking
A latecomer

Im Canadian and that is a common way to use that word in some areas - its definitely slang and used by older people.
WordsandMusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WordsandMusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 6:52am

Edited by WordsandMusic - 27 Jan 2023 at 6:55am
Cindy Batts View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy Batts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 8:11am
SS R1 GR160 
Genre - Sci-Fi
Subject - Memorabilia
Character - A substitute teacher

I had a lot of fun with this one!
C L Batts R1 G97
Link to my page for the story
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic57936_post626875.html#626875
Proteus View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:39am
G48
Genre: Sci-Fi
Subject: An Infomercial
Character: A deadbeat

First timer here. At first the prompt filled me with dread. After staring into space for an indeterminate amount of time, things started clicking.

Now I'm just trying to convince myself that I didn't read it wrong. Once I've done that I will submit. At which time I will try to convince myself I didn't submit it wrong.

shanan187 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shanan187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Proteus Proteus wrote:

G48
Genre: Sci-Fi
Subject: An Infomercial
Character: A deadbeat

First timer here. At first the prompt filled me with dread. After staring into space for an indeterminate amount of time, things started clicking.

Now I'm just trying to convince myself that I didn't read it wrong. Once I've done that I will submit. At which time I will try to convince myself I didn't submit it wrong.

After 9 years of doing these contests, I've only just stopped second-guessing whether or not I read my prompt correctly in the last year. I also used to absolutely agonize over the deadline-driven contest. The only advice I can give is, just have fun with it. You're doing it right, I promise.
KaylaDawn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaylaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by mistressposte mistressposte wrote:

Group 159: Mystery, Urban Sprawl, A Governor

I have an idea based on my MF250 R2 story but I think it would spiral into 10k+ words very easily! 

I can't believe how many people seem to have already written something for this - I'm in awe of you all!

Hey Groupmate!

I don't know about you but I am really struggling with this one! I have a few different ideas but no idea where to even start! Wishing you all the luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 31>