NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SS R1 Prompts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 31>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 12:51am
Originally posted by AprilBaker AprilBaker wrote:

Originally posted by WhistlerCrowe WhistlerCrowe wrote:

Hello, thanks for making this thread! 

Group 65 - Mystery - Summer School - A boyfriend

Too bad swapping wasn’t allowed because these are awesome.

I know! I would LOVE to have your prompts. Literally, I know exactly what I'd do with them. 

Mine, however, I'm at a loss with. Maybe some genre combining is in order. 
nobodyowens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 12:51am
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Originally posted by nobodyowens nobodyowens wrote:

I got Group 44: Mystery/Antisocial/Anesthesiologist

I feel pretty good about the genre but other than that I'm a little worried. This may be the wrong place to post this but how exactly are we supposed to use the subject? I read the FAQs and the participation guide but I still don't seem to understand. 

Could someone explain? I'm new to this particular challenge so I don't think I've done one with a subject before. 

Thank you in advance and good luck eveyone! :) 

The subject must, in some way, be fundamental to the plot. That means the plot could not occur without the subject being involved in the theme, conflict, or character choices. It can be literal or not literal, but it has to be present.

Some examples of ways I've used past subjects, if it helps

renewable -- a character abuses a (made-up) creative drug to force epiphanic work, and her internal character drama revolved around learning how to renew her own creative energy and embrace the risk of failure

a lapse of judgment -- Character A made a highly irregular choice in their job to help Character B, which caused the rest of the plot

biweekly -- Character A met with Character B every two weeks for an illicit love affair, under the guise that one was teaching the other another language

honeymoon -- Character A's mother abandoned her to go on a "honeymoon" that was actually a drug-bender. The actual story occurred after the mother was already gone and the honeymoon part was communicated in a flashback. But since it was the frame behind the entire character conflict, drama, and resolution, it counted

I hope these examples help! Good luck!!

That did help a lot! Thank you so much i was really nervous because i didn't understand. 

So as long as it's an integral part of the story it can work? Like you have the character be antisocial and the plot stems from that? 

Thank you and good luck to you as well!!😊
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 12:52am
Originally posted by dcontarato dcontarato wrote:

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Group 46 | Political Satire | Red Tape | A Golfer

Piece of cake.

Great to see you back, Stephen! And with Pol Sat nonetheless Smile

Thanks. I have some ideas on what I'd write, but stronger ideas on what it will look like - that is, how I'll tell the story.

Like I said elsewhere, I am just going to have fun with this one.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

tiffinyfelix View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffinyfelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 12:55am
This is my second year doing the challenge and I'm excited to be back!

Group: 132
Genre: Historical Fiction
Subject: Resentment
Character: An Errand Boy

Evelynwhy1 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evelynwhy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 12:56am
Shepard, honor system, comedy. 

I can make it work. 
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/we-were-mermaids-r4-ff_topic45148.html
fae View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 12:57am
Group 81/Drama/Retirement/A Gossipmonger 

My first short story. Good luck everyone!
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Heartstart Heartstart wrote:

Group 215 (Rom-Com / Bulletin Board / Mother in Law) is my assignment too! 

I'm trying to think of a creative take on these prompts, as judges seem to like the more creative interpretations... but it's not easy...

Well the bulletin board is hard, maybe you could have like an office romance of some kind? Like the Mother-in-law is the boss and their son/daughter works there got married to one of the other employees who also works there. Mother-in-Law isn't happy about it so they make like a "No fraternizing" rule at work which means the couple has to get creative. They could use the bulletin board to pass messages secretly? One day Mother-in-law finds out and keeps trying to catch them? 

I apologize i've never really done rom-com but thought i could offer an idea, hope it helps 😊 

Good luck!
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 12:59am

That did help a lot! Thank you so much i was really nervous because i didn't understand. 

So as long as it's an integral part of the story it can work? Like you have the character be antisocial and the plot stems from that? 

Ahh good!!  :) I think the short story is unnerving the first couple of times because the subject is so flexible, unlike a prompt like object or setting, which is pretty inarguable how to include it

You've got it precisely!! An example of that might be, sayyy... the Wizard from the Wizard of Oz movie. His hiding and refusing to be seen is the source of the whole plot, even though it's a small piece of the story. 

Glad to help <3
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nobodyowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 1:04am
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Ahh good!!  :) I think the short story is unnerving the first couple of times because the subject is so flexible, unlike a prompt like object or setting, which is pretty inarguable how to include it

You've got it precisely!! An example of that might be, sayyy... the Wizard from the Wizard of Oz movie. His hiding and refusing to be seen is the source of the whole plot, even though it's a small piece of the story. 

Glad to help <3

That's a great example! Thank you again 😊 I hope you do really well
GenieAZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Rom-Com - a bulletin board - Mother -in-law

I can see some really funny plots, now have to insert Rom...

I am so happy you escaped Spy again! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 31>