NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Microfiction cooperative / playground / sandbox..?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Microfiction cooperative / playground / sandbox..?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 3:24pm
I'm up for either (1) review all or (2) review 2-3. I'd slightly prefer to review all if we're keeping it to 250 word stories. I'd like to see everyone's work progress and offer positive feedback on growth. To me that's the best thing about this idea. It gives a chance to follow up on previous criticism and (hopefully) offer positive feed back. In other words, feedback on story #1 is "your dialogue was a little clunky"....feedback for story #5 "your dialogue flows much better." We still get some of that with reviewing 2-3, just not as much. I'm in either way.

I'm fine with winner or no winner. If we do pick a winner, I'd prefer if we vote for most improved overall at the end (after we cycle through each genre). Where we are relative to others doesn't matter as much as where we end up relative to where we started. Maybe also everyone gets a vote for favorite story by someone else. That would also be helpful. If one of my stories is someone's favorite out of 65 (for 13 genres), I should probably think about revising and publishing it.
Sonia Prudan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonia Prudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 8:27pm
Hello again! That sounds promising. Let's!

Some basic rules (tell me what you think of it):
- 24h 250-word challenge, starting on 11:59PMEST on a Friday (time when the prompt will be posted or emailed or something),
- groups of 4 - 6 authors for each prompt,
- prompts similar to the NYC Midnight prompts,
- each entrant agrees to review all other submissions in their group (so up to 5 other stories),
- reviews to be emailed back to wherever the prompt comes from up to a week later (so 11:59PMEST next Friday),
- reviews will be gathered and grouped and sent to authors (?) that weekend,
- we improve the process and we start again two or three or X weeks later.
Books, chocolate and revolution!
My blog https://www.facebook.com/Sonia.Prudan/
My stories www.amazon.fr/Sonia-Prudan/e/B085M5CFTD
mistressposte View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mistressposte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 3:46am
Just posting to follow this thread! It's such a good idea but a bit busy this time to join in. Hopefully can be a part of the next one. Have fun!
Smitava View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 4:05am
Great initiative. Could I participate too?
mistressposte View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistressposte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 4:26am
Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

The 11:59 Discord is an amazing place for workshopping! Totally at your own pace; you can workshop as much or as little as you want, though like with NYCM betas, the general expectation is that you’re active in workshopping other stories if you want your story workshopped, which sounds exactly like what you described! Any length of story is accepted, including micros, and it’s totally free Smile http://discord.gg/YhyM4K8Hyy

Thanks so much for sharing this - this is exactly the kind of thing that i've been looking for!
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonia Prudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:21pm
Hello everyone! Just confirming that the (thing?) we were trying to organise is up and running now. Deschain has organised the Google space, and everyone who expressed an interest here has been contacted. Deschain has also named it NYCM Microfiction Sandbox, which I think is a great name. So it means I will now stop calling it a (thing?). ;)

I guess we are kind of ready to go now. Woohoo!
fae View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 12:03am
Thanks for posting this - I'd love to join whenever there's another opening :)
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by fae fae wrote:

Thanks for posting this - I'd love to join whenever there's another opening :)

If some more people join you in wanting to get going, I'd be happy to share details on how to manage it. I think we've got it set up for minimal overhead, so you and 4-5 others (fewer if you want) can start one at any time.

Also, if someone does drop out from our original six and we decide to add someone from a waitlist, I believe you would be first in line on the waitlist.

I've lead some book groups before. I would not be surprised if someone had to drop out from a group of six. Life is messy sometimes.

One way or another, you'll get a chance to participate in this or something similar at some point.
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonia Prudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 2:22am
I will PM you, Fae. We had reached limits, but one person is not responding any more. So I guess there is an opening now... :)
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonia Prudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 11:32pm
Hello everyone! We are preparing our Round 4 and we think we can extend the group with another one or two persons. Anyone interested now? The rules are as discussed previously: we all receive some prompt every second Friday, we have 24 hours to write something and then we have one week to read the other members stories (and leave some feedback). It is lots of fun! And I, personally have already learned so much.

Come and join the MF250 Sandbox!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>