NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short Story Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Story Challenge
    Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 2:15am
Hi everyone, this is my very first year entering this competition and I'm not sure if I'll be emailed or if I have to look up which group Im in on this forum.  Can anyone answer those questions?

Thanks so much
Erica for me
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 11:19am
Hi Treena,
All registered writers will receive an assignment email at the start of the competition at 11:59PM EST (New York time) on Friday, January 20th, which will include the links to the assignments as well as information on how to submit your storyThe assignments will also be posted on the official competition page (https://www.nycmidnight.com/ssc), and links will be posted on our Facebook and Twitter pages. 

Emails can occasionally be sent to junk mail, so we would recommend adding the start date to your calendar so you know when to check the website in case it's not sent to your inbox. You can find all the dates, along with buttons to add them to your calendar, at https://www.nycmidnight.com/ssc#datesWe hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else. Good luck, and we hope you enjoy the challenge!
--
Next up is the Screenwriting Challenge 2023 kicking off March 15th
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 3:37pm
Just read the rules and found this in clause 18.

No revisions or missing pages will be accepted once the first attempt at 
an entry has been received by the LLC. Do NOT supplement your entry with any subsequent mailings or forwarding of 
documents, as such will be grounds for disqualification and forfeiture of any Entry Fee.

Is this true? I understood that for all NYCM contests we could submit and resubmit as many times as we wanted up to the deadline.
Hoping it's something from pre-electronic submission times that no longer applies! Or that you don't get them from Submittable till after the deadline, so it's technically correct but we can still resubmit till then.

Edited by FireHorse - 20 Jan 2023 at 3:39pm
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

Just read the rules and found this in clause 18.

No revisions or missing pages will be accepted once the first attempt at 
an entry has been received by the LLC. Do NOT supplement your entry with any subsequent mailings or forwarding of 
documents, as such will be grounds for disqualification and forfeiture of any Entry Fee.

Is this true? I understood that for all NYCM contests we could submit and resubmit as many times as we wanted up to the deadline.
Hoping it's something from pre-electronic submission times that no longer applies! Or that you don't get them from Submittable till after the deadline, so it's technically correct but we can still resubmit till then.

Imo, the sentence preceding it provides the legal context

Quote “Creative Development” includes, but is not limited to, writing an ORIGINAL logline and short story, from first draft to final draft, within the Challenge Story Window. No revisions or missing pages will be accepted once the first attempt at an entry has been received by the LLC.

Emphasis my own. It's confusing wording, but I would take "first attempt" to refer to the singular version of the story that NYCM collects at the moment the submission window ends vs. any attempts after the submission window closes. So, if a person submits Version A at 11:58 and tries to submit Version B at 12:01, Version A would be defined as the "first" attempt, even if there were multiple attempts before it. This is because NYCM technically only receives one version, as every reupload replaces your original submission on their end.

I strongly suspect this wording exists to have a defensible reason to handle someone being unreasonable about sending story content after the submission window closes ;)

Edited by taaaylor - 20 Jan 2023 at 4:18pm
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
Treena View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 6:09pm
Thank you so much for this information. 
 Post Reply Post Reply