NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Percentage of no-shows?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groza528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Percentage of no-shows?
    Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 8:31am
Hey all, so this year’s 250 is my first competition here.
When round 1 got submitted only one other person in my group added themself to the master list. I expected that some people would submit and not participate in the forums,  but I also saw people in the forums saying this like “if I got sci-fi I’d probably just drop out.” (For me that genre would be romance— I’d give it a go if I was available but as it turns out this year it coincided with a weekend-long conflict that I probably would have picked over romance).
So that made me curious. I can see how many people posted their story and calculate a rough percentage from that. But of those I don’t see in the forum, does anyone know, on average, how many of them are submissions and how many are drops?
NMiller View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 8:40am
For round 1... cannot imagine it would be high given the low word count. For flash, especially challenge 2 where people may not have gotten points in challenge one may drop. But if you paid for a round 1 and the length is not daunting, I imagine they submit but may not post here if they feel it wasn't their best work. 

For round 2 I imagine life gets in the way for people who may not have expected to move on or did not plan I'm advance that they would. But now you have people reaching for round 3 and with the low word count of 250....why not submit. 

Posting on forums is not always done so I would not use this data to extrapolate the larger group's choices.

Good luck!
Amylouwho View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amylouwho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 10:26am
In the first round there were only three stories posted on the master list for my group.  I kept going back and looking but always only three. When the second round list came out one of those three stories wasn’t on the list, one got an honorable mention (a story I had thought was really good so just getting an HM surprised me) and somehow I managed to squeak into the second round.  None of the other 9 stories in my round were on the master list nor did I see them anywhere in the forums.  
2022 R1 G35
R2 G22 https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic51659_post547289.html#547289
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 3:21pm
I can't find the thread, but I'm sure in the past NYCM have said that typically 70-80% submit in the first round.

There were 5400 entries this time, so presuming the submission rate was typical that means approximately 3700 to 4300 stories. About 500 posted on the forum (going by the master list, plus a few extra), I'm rubbish at maths but that's something between 10-20%, which is pretty typical for the three years or so that I've been regularly putting myself through this.

Edited by theinquisitor - 15 Jan 2023 at 5:11pm
laleighda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laleighda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 3:24pm
I submitted a story in round 1, but didn't post to the forums. No particular reason, unless you count being busy as a reason! Posting to the forums takes time and care - you need to reciprocate reads and comments. I unfortunately didn't have the time for this in round 1, but I can in round 2!

I know that's anecdotal, but perhaps more people have that same reasoning for not posting in the forums after submitting their entry :)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 9:03pm

The rates are quite different between the contests. The Flash Fiction and 
Short Screenplay have the highest dropout rates. They are both two story
round ones - meaning that if the first story a writer writes does not score 
well, then a lot of people do not bother writing the second story as they feel 
they have no chance of moving onto the second round(third story of the contest).
I personally always write as I enjoy the competitions and the writing.
 Post Reply Post Reply