NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ChatGPT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by copperdogma copperdogma wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Watermarks only work if you copy and paste.
Now if there were a way of inserting certain words in a pattern throughout a story,
sort of like the US dollar has the Eurion Constellation that a photocopy machine will not copy....

We covered that earlier in the thread, but I'll paste it here:

https://theamericangenius.com/tech-news/chatgpt-watermark/#:~:text=You%20can't%20currently%20use,stage%20of%20ChatGPT%20feature%20rollouts.

TLDR: Cryptogenic watermarking. "The key to making AI content watermarking virtually undetectable is ensuring the distribution of words still has a unique and random appearance like regular AI-generated text."

That's interesting. If they do it consistently enough within the text, anything you don't rewrite fully by hand would still contain that distribution ("watermark"), so the more you leave unchanged the higher it would rate on something detecting generated text.

Ah... I never followed that link before.
I think that will only catch the idiots though, pretty easy to thwart it.

Edited by Suave - 17 Jan 2023 at 11:09pm
Zero11 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Zero11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 1:07am
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Zero11 Zero11 wrote:

Check out this article! 

That was where I got going down the rabbit hole. Great article and it gives hope.
Another thing that gives me hope is that a large group of people are setting their computers to continually ask for stories, articles, papers etc on why Elon Musk's first name should be Anal instead.

They figure if he started banning everyone on Twitter who offended him within a few days of owning it, he might be so offended by a billion stories making fun of him that he'll want *his program marked so he can trace the people who use it. It would work backwards as well so that would be another way to catch the cheaters.
Waiting for EU to ban it for IP violations. It's already been caught using terms and characters who can only be found in paid (not public) works. They seem to be setting up a case to show that it's stealing work not in the public domain. None of those rights were purchased by the company.

*Like Tesla, not his idea or work. 

Edited by Popsicle Crows - 18 Jan 2023 at 2:01am
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:32pm
hopefully we can return to better days, when cheaters had to hire ghost-writers from developing nations to graduate college...

Universities offered software to sniff out ChatGPT-written essays: Teachers hopefully get their hands on the tool within months

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:34pm

I see Google is going to add this ChatGPT program to their search.

Edited by Suave - 23 Jan 2023 at 10:34pm
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Deschain Deschain wrote:

hopefully we can return to better days, when cheaters had to hire ghost-writers from developing nations to graduate college...

Universities offered software to sniff out ChatGPT-written essays: Teachers hopefully get their hands on the tool within months

It is a good start. But I have to think that times strapped students might use something like the AI to write their papers and then just touch them up. Course as time goes on the work might become good enough that the students would not need to touch them up. 

And having teachers use the percentages the new detector might provide without giving the student any chance to respond, well that would not be a good ending - I don't see how the teacher can use this very effectively, could not just say, "Hey, you cheated!" without some sort of solid evidence.

Edited by Suave - 23 Jan 2023 at 10:51pm
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:53pm

Originally posted by Deschain Deschain wrote:

It is a good start. But I have to think that times strapped students might use something like the AI to write their papers and then just touch them up. Course as time goes on the work might become good enough that the students would not need to touch them up.

I'm assuming any of the other old plagiarism tricks, like dropping your essay into Google translate and translating it to German and back would probably be enough to cover it up. I don't really know.

for us creative types, this thing seems pretty horrible, but I can tell you from experience there was a great deal of fear about algebraic solvers and things like that. people were scared that students wouldn't understand algebra I guess. I use the concepts I learned in school every single day of my job, but I probably only have to solve an algebraic equation four or five times a year. there's always going to be new tools, there's always going to be apprehension about those tools. people might be completely justified, personally, I think it's a shame if people don't learn how to write for themselves, but there's also a certain inevitability about it. I don't think anyone's wrong for hating chatGPT, but on some level it's like getting mad at the ocean for the tides
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 8:29pm
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 9:46pm

Just found this.

That's one of the more concise ones I've seen. I'll be sharing that, thx!
Sound like former ceo Musk is a little peeved that he missed out on the money this will be making, lol. He didn't just ban it from twitter but from using any sources he controls. No twitter harvesting might mean it may pick up a little less neo-nazi stuff from the little scumbag's friends.

Our schoolboard is testing the GPT catcher and it's still at 100% success rate as of this morning. There's also a concerted effort by the happy hackers to mess up some common cheats. 
Sad robot, lol.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

Just found this.

That's one of the more concise ones I've seen. I'll be sharing that, thx!
Sound like former ceo Musk is a little peeved that he missed out on the money this will be making, lol. He didn't just ban it from twitter but from using any sources he controls. No twitter harvesting might mean it may pick up a little less neo-nazi stuff from the little scumbag's friends.

Our schoolboard is testing the GPT catcher and it's still at 100% success rate as of this morning. There's also a concerted effort by the happy hackers to mess up some common cheats. 
Sad robot, lol.

I think the people really who are going to profit from this are the scammers from third world countries. The ones that send you a email with all the funny grammar. They will be able to have their nasty stuff formatted right and maybe get a lot more catches?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>