NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ChatGPT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

I was specifically talking about people using it to do the work for them.

To answer your question though, a fellow writer wouldn't make the mistake of sanitizing someone's writing and a beta reader gives an opinion so you don't have to take their advice/opinion. 
The big story about this AI program isn't about using it as a stand in for WORD MS grammar checker. Most common writing software already has something to check spelling and grammar.

My mistake, I thought you were responding to my post since you were comparing betas and ChatGPT. I didn't realize you were trying to start a separate discussion.

And no, that doesn't answer my question, that answers an unwritten question you just posed to yourself. You can write whatever you want, but please don't attribute it to me. I prefer to write my own words. I'm very picky about them.
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 1:36am
@Deschain
You said: "If I have to compete against writers bolstered by betas..."
They aren't 'bolstered', betas give other writers opinions or advice.

You asked "If someone asks ChatGPT to help with something they could otherwise ask a beta for, is it really any different?"

You posed a question about a situation that isn't plausible so it could only be answered by explaining why the two situations can't be compared. Apples and oranges. I answered WHY it was different.
You are perfectly free to hate my answer :-)

Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 2:32am

@Deschain

You said: "If I have to compete against writers bolstered by betas..."

They aren't 'bolstered', betas give other writers opinions or advice.

Originally posted by NMiller NMiller wrote:

Betas...have helped me to clarify my thoughts...They made sure what is in my head is actually coming across to others clearly. They have helped with grammar and supported or vetoed creative attempts.

bolster - to support or improve something or make it stronger (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/bolster)

You asked "If someone asks ChatGPT to help with something they could otherwise ask a beta for, is it really any different?"

You posed a question about a situation that isn't plausible...

Originally posted by NMiller NMiller wrote:

Betas...have helped with grammar...

Originally posted by Deschain Deschain wrote:

I am specifically asking if people think there's a difference between:
(1) asking ChatGPT to check the grammar of a story you wrote
(2) asking a beta to check the grammar of a story you wrote

Edited by Deschain - 14 Jan 2023 at 2:33am
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 2:45am
Maybe a beta would have helped you clarify your question?

Betas don't do the work of improving or making your stories stronger, they suggest and advise and then the writer decides and does the work.

Same answer to your question. An AI wouldn't be used to help with grammar unless someone wanted to take out the nuance. As NMiller noted, betas can advise other writers about grammar etc and are massively helpful. obviously NMiller did the work, not a computer. 

My answer is still the same, yes, a massive difference. One is part of the normal writing process, the other is a new way to take all the personality out of someone's work by having technology make decisions for you. 
Apples and wheelbarrows.
Deschain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deschain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 2:55am

Maybe a beta would have helped you clarify your question?

Are you offering to help clarify my question? I didn't realize it was so confusing. Thank you so much!

Originally posted by Deschain Deschain wrote:

I am specifically asking if people think there's a difference between:
(1) asking ChatGPT to check the grammar of a story you wrote
(2) asking a beta to check the grammar of a story you wrote

(this was fun, let's do it again sometime Wink)
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 3:01am
I wasn't but as you showed in your quote, a beta reader could whereas ChatGPT might make it worse.
I found your question very clear, that's why it was so easy to answer. 

And definitely up for a debate any time. It's fun.
Night, sleep well.

BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 6:13pm
I just asked it to write a 250-word micro story about my dog (I am not in the competition) just out of curiosity...and it killed off my dog LOL
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

I just asked it to write a 250-word micro story about my dog (I am not in the competition) just out of curiosity...and it killed off my dog LOL

Ask it to do it again and see what you get.
copperdogma View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copperdogma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 12:56am
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

I think it's a trash app and if you care about your fellow writers, you wouldn't use it for any commercial gain or contest of SKILL, full stop. Typing sentences into an AI bot isn't a skill. 

I have no respect for writing AI. Use your brain. Read a book. Take a walk. Do your own research. It's not even good as a search index tool because it will confidently lie to you. 
THIS.

I hate the idea of it and people WILL use it for these contests and it's not ok. It's cheating. 

Absolutely.

I'd take it a step further: people who use ChatGPT to replace writing aren't writers. Writers write. Imagine cheating your way to that level of banal mediocrity. It's becoming a problem with Kindle Unlimited and a-holes stealing money from actual writers by pumping out nonsense ChatGPT books and posting them, thus stealing from the communal money pool for total pages read. It has very real monetary impacts already.

I will never be nice about this 😂😂😂 This is the only gate I keep. Wanna be a writer? WRITE. Otherwise you're just a plagiarist with extra steps.

I hear you. And your original posts. And I'm not sure I can disagree with you anywhere.

From chatting with my other writer friends, we posed this question: If you read a story and loved it, what would change if you were then told it was written by AI?

The answer we settled on was something like: Reading a story from a human being feels like that person is trying to say something to you. They have intent and purpose with their story, and you have a connection with them because you've read it. A story written by AI loses all of that.

But regardless of our feelings about it, this is the future, and it's here now.

Currently ChatGPT, from my experiments, writes terrible stories;) But this stuff if advancing rapidly, so not being worried yet would be like standing in the rain before an approaching hurricane and saying "it's no big deal -- just a drizzle."

This will be the future. I wanted to ask the question about ChatGPT to get people in a community I love thinking about it and the ramifications for the future.
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Ask it to do it again and see what you get.

I asked it why it was so mean to kill off my dog in the story and it apologized
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>