NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A not so great logline....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A not so great logline....
    Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 8:43pm

I found a new movie called, "White Noise," when looking for something to watch.
The logline made me chuckle, this one pretty much told the whole story, lol, and
I did not watch it. Though it might just be me.

Dramatizes a contemporary American family's attempts to deal with the mundane conflicts of everyday life while grappling with the universal mysteries of love,
death, and the possibility of happiness in an uncertain world.
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 7:30am
Yeesh. I would have skipped that too. They could have shortened it to just two words: zero surprises. LOL
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:24pm
I watched it. Pretty good. A few surprises, particularly with the lecture sequences and the conclusion. Strangely weird in parts, which made for bemused expressions in my household. Contemporary American family and mundane conflicts are a bit of a stretch. 

Edited by Nimhathuna - 07 Jan 2023 at 5:57pm
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Nimhathuna Nimhathuna wrote:

I watched it. Pretty good. A few surprises, particularly with the lectures sequences and the conclusion. Strangely weird in parts, which made for bemused expressions in my household. Contemporary American family and mundane conflicts are a a bit of a stretch. 

Maybe will give it a go.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

Yeesh. I would have skipped that too. They could have shortened it to just two words: zero surprises. LOL

That was my thinking as well, lol.
SueSS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SueSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 10:10pm
Interesting. I watched it without reading the logline, and thought it was about the way advertising and media influences society and their role in creating mass hysteria.
It was a little odd at times and I had to watch it with the subtitles on as otherwise the dialogue became unintelligible at times (I think that was an intentional tactic to highlight the white noise theme). Overall, I'm glad I watched it - I think LOL
MelindaLeigh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MelindaLeigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 2:23pm
I've never written a screenplay...so nervous.  Did any newbies get screenwriting software?  Wondering if I should bother.
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by MelindaLeigh MelindaLeigh wrote:

I've never written a screenplay...so nervous.  Did any newbies get screenwriting software?  Wondering if I should bother.

Welcome and definitely grab some free formatting software. It will make your writing so much easier. It does all the fiddly things for you so your script looks professional. You don't want the judges thinking you're an amateur before they even start your story. 

Most programs are pretty intuitive too. There's no giant learning curve to get the main features. Use the winning scripts here to get an idea of what a clean script looks like. 

And remember that it's not life and death, it's a bunch of creative people having a go at telling one of our stories in a certain format. I'm nervous every time but nervous is exciting too. Gets your brain dancing Smile

Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by MelindaLeigh MelindaLeigh wrote:

I'm new too. I've been using Trebly. It's free and seems to handle all the basics. I watched a couple Trebly videos to figure out some of the features, but it isn't hard to learn.

I don't think they have a Mac options though, so if you've got an Apple, this won't do. 

** On a Forum Break until April **

250 R2: Whispers Under a Lonely Kansas Sky
More: Archive
MelindaLeigh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MelindaLeigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 5:29pm
Thank you.  I'm definitely going to try Trebly.  Everyday do something that scares you; right?  Here we go.....Good luck everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>