NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to use your word

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 3:01pm
I love the word prompt and definitely take it on as "what's the most fun way I could make this work"?

MF100 R1, "zoom": My first MF and second NYCM competition. Doing something on Zoom felt too easy, but I pulled RomCom and felt lost, so I decided to write a Zoom seance where MC was summoning the ghost of her fiance. It was fun!!
MF100 R2, "hunt": Genre was Suspense/Thriller, action was "turning off an alarm". Wayyy too "leading" for my taste, so I wrote about foxhunting and I think came up with my 2nd most successful Micro to date!
MF100 Finals, "lift": With Open genre and the action "laughing", IMO, this was an uninspired set of finals prompts (and least inspired prompts I've ever gotten), but the finalists came up with kickass stories regardless! A few folks used "uplift" (including the winner), and I went that direction, as well.

Now, for this Micro, I got "will": So easy that I hardly thought about it; it came up organically within the first couple of sentences. I'll take it, though, since my action prompt of "measuring the height of something" was specific AF (not even just "measuring something"? Give us a break! LOL). If I were feeling clever, I could've named a character "Will", but "will" is such a common word that I didn't need to do that.

My favorite word use so far has been an author who used "awestruck" when their word prompt was "west". It was the first time that I saw a word spaced out over multiple syllables (similar to "Jerusalem"), and I thought that was way cool! I inspire to be that creative one day!

The word prompt is one of my favorites; I hope they keep it in the future! I like it more than the object prompt for Flash; the object prompts have been the only ones that have felt forced for me in the 9 NYCM stories that I've written so far.

BobbieJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbieJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 4:21pm
I am most impressed when I read a story and I have no idea what the required word was. In contrast, sometimes you read a story and something nags at it you about a sentence, like "hmmmm.... kind of random, but okay ..."  and it turns out the sentence contained the required word. I got lucky this last time and "rig" was my word. It was a great moment when I realized that anything right, bright, fright, and variations were all fair game.
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 8:13pm
One of the first things I do is brainstorm a list of words that my "word" can be found in! One that I'm most proud of is using "rant" in tarantula. :)
#amrevising
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

One of the first things I do is brainstorm a list of words that my "word" can be found in! One that I'm most proud of is using "rant" in tarantula. :)

Haha, that is fun! I am old fashioned and always use it in its original form - I hate the thought of getting a DQ from an inattentive judge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12