NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to use your word

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote groza528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to use your word
    Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 9:06am
So this something I was thinking about after reading some of the things other folks have come up with. Specifically I'm thinking about the "word" part of the prompt from the MF250.
So first of all, I totally misread the rule that says your word can be part of a larger word. I thought it specifically said it could NOT be part of a larger word, so that is definitely on me for not paying enough attention.
It has made me think about how to be more clever with my word prompt if I make it to future rounds. And that has made me wonder what the limitations are.
For example, this round my word was "sale." Obviously "sales" is fine. I also don't think there is any issue with "wholesale" even in the sense of 'complete.' But then I get into cases like "Jerusalem." Technically it contains sale, but it has nothing whatever to do with the concept. On the one hand it makes me feel smug and clever but on the other hand it makes me feel like I'm not truly following the spirit of the prompt.
What are your thoughts, and what are some of the clever ways you've seen people use their words? A few kudos I'll point out are imprinted and wireworms.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 10:19am
For 100mf I got the word "trace." So the MC was named "Tracey" and at one point the other character calls it out. I placed well so while some judges might be weird, I think they like when you stretch the limit.
Mrsnetpro View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrsnetpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

For 100mf I got the word "trace." So the MC was named "Tracey" and at one point the other character calls it out. I placed well so while some judges might be weird, I think they like when you stretch the limit.

I don't think the judges care about that in the least, it's NYCM management that does.

There's tons of feedback on the forums that demonstrate judges are not looking at much, let alone taking the time to go "oh that's really creative".  I get a kick out of the ones that suggest the writer eliminate the word, especially when it's there FOR that very reason.
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 5:06pm
Hey groza528,

Cheers for the 'wireworms' shoutout. Smile I tend to submerge my word prompt, when possible, in a longer term. I s'pose it depends upon the word. I have to admit, though, I've never used it as given in any of the comps.
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 5:13pm
My word was “print” and I used it in “sprinted” because that fit better with my story. I think the word prompt is a bit meh, but it makes sense to have a less limiting prompt in such a short word count. 
SharE View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 5:20pm
[QUOTE=groza528]So this something I was thinking about after reading some of the things other folks have come up with. Specifically I'm thinking about the "word" part of the prompt from the MF250.
So first of all, I totally misread the rule that says your word can be part of a larger word. I thought it specifically said it could NOT be part of a larger word, so that is definitely on me for not paying enough attention.
It has made me think about how to be more clever with my word prompt if I make it to future rounds. And that has made me wonder what the limitations are.
For example, this round my word was "sale." Obviously "sales" is fine. I also don't think there is any issue with "wholesale" even in the sense of 'complete.' But then I get into cases like "Jerusalem." Technically it contains sale, but it has nothing whatever to do with the concept. On the one hand it makes me feel smug and clever but on the other hand it makes me feel like I'm not truly following the spirit of the prompt.
What are your thoughts, and what are some of the clever ways you've seen people use their words? A few kudos I'll point out are imprinted and wireworms.
[/QUOTE

I read it could not be used within a longer word. I need to read more carefully. 
catnamedeaster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catnamedeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 6:05pm
I always make my word do as much work as possible, if I get a versatile one. For 100 one year I got "room" and suspense as the genre. So, of course my brain immediately went to someone locked in room, or being held in a room, etc. To get away from those initial trappings, I'll see what other words contain my word and try to derive some ideas that way. I ended up using "mushroom" and no one was trapped in a room of any kind.

That being said, sometimes you're stuck with a word that won't do much. I also had "grow" that year. And I didn't find that word was much help.

Edited by catnamedeaster - 26 Nov 2022 at 6:07pm
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 6:14pm
Here’s straight from the rules. Always read each challenge’s rules, as word, action, object, subject, theme, etc have a different degree in which they need to be used.

For Micro, I always make a list of words I could use and then use whichever fits most naturally in the story.

“ The assigned word must be included in the story exactly how it is spelled and continuously (no spaces), but it may be capitalized in any way the Entrant chooses and it may be part of a longer word. For example, if the assigned word is “courage”, then using the word “courageous” or “encourage” would be acceptable because it contains the exact spelling of the assigned word and it is used continuously (no spaces). Using “Courage”, “COURAGE”, or “CoUraGE”, would also be acceptable.

The Genre, Action, and Word assignment may be included in the title of the story, but it must also be included in the body of the story to qualify. A story that only includes the assigned action or word in the title, for example, is not acceptable.”

Edited by Dark&StormyNight - 26 Nov 2022 at 6:16pm
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 6:43pm
I usually just see if I can fit a word with it in naturally in some way - in this round, I've actually used it twice  (one was deliberate, one I only noticed shortly before submission and decided to keep). It does depend on what the word is though - some do require thinking. That said, I think the only one I've struggled with was "sense" in 2020, where I did end up looking at words that contained "sense" since I was struggling to find a way to use it naturally (ended up using it as part of "nonsense").

Edited by Draiglas - 26 Nov 2022 at 6:43pm
scurvy_seadog View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scurvy_seadog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 7:24pm
I think it depends on how you are looking at the competition. I see it as "writers, here is your genre. Please write a 100 (or 250) word story in that genre. Oh and to make it more fun, include this action in your story and place this word in there somewhere."

Others seem to see it as "writers, you need to write a 100 word story that has this action and this word in it. Oh and please write it in this genre."

I think the fact that the judges don't know and/or don't care what the word is means you can do whatever you want with that word. The story just has to contain those letters, consecutively, in order. 

So, OP, you set that story in Jerusalem! Or in Salem. Oh wherever you want and talk about a salesman a la Death of a Salesman 😁
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>