NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumpleStinkbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 9:57pm
Good for you Jennifer, bet you’re a blast to converse with around the holidays. Congrats on your success in professional writing, but some of us here are NEW and are challenging ourselves on a personal level, oh, and having fun writing stories to meet like minded people. I’ve read a lot of stories that didn’t resonate with me and I know my opinions probably wouldn’t be helpful since I’m not a professional like you so I chose not to comment. You literally gave a bad review on this post based off of another reviewer from a story you never read! 😆😆😆 Have we reached the height of hypocrisy yet?? QUIT ATTACKING very excited newbies! This is the first time 8 other people posted in my group and self righteous, snobby people are limiting my ability to grow! 
jakz404 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jakz404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Sometimes a person doesn't have enough bread for a compliment sandwich and it looks like this person did not. 

Love this as a response
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 7:49am
Originally posted by RumpleStinkbug RumpleStinkbug wrote:

Good for you Jennifer, bet you’re a blast to converse with around the holidays. Congrats on your success in professional writing, but some of us here are NEW and are challenging ourselves on a personal level, oh, and having fun writing stories to meet like minded people. I’ve read a lot of stories that didn’t resonate with me and I know my opinions probably wouldn’t be helpful since I’m not a professional like you so I chose not to comment. You literally gave a bad review on this post based off of another reviewer from a story you never read! 😆😆😆 Have we reached the height of hypocrisy yet?? QUIT ATTACKING very excited newbies! This is the first time 8 other people posted in my group and self righteous, snobby people are limiting my ability to grow! 

Your ability to grow is on you. Feedback that just blows sunshine, however, stunts growth. The review that prompted the tantrum isn't mean or nasty and the person who wrote it even wrote a second comment clarifying it. If THAT isn't supportive enough and too mean, this is not a good contest to be in. Nowhere has the OP said anything is inaccurate, either. They just don't think being told someone found a power-imbalance relationship in a mental health setting "icky" as constructive. Despite that being 100% a valid reaction.

RumpleStinkbug View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumpleStinkbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 8:45am
Alright, I’ll concede. It is a valid reaction to a client/patient relationship being ‘icky’. Although, neither of us know what the ‘icky’ is since neither of us read the story that was taken down. Having said that, Both parties should probably grow some thicker skin participating on the forums. I still think the OP should put their story back up but include trigger warnings so people with such fragile mental health know upfront that maybe it’s not worth the read. I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving! Also, you do a killer Paris Gellar impression from the show Gilmore Girls! ☀️☀️☀️
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 8:46am
I'm going to ask the forum to close this thread. 
RumpleStinkbug View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumpleStinkbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 12:37am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

If you only want praise, I suggest a local writers' feedback group, because people tend to be very averse to non-positive feedback. If one person who had a single specific issue plus pointing out typos  and making their 'compliment sandwich' open-faced is that horrible for you, first, brace yourself for the judges' feedback because they do everything from point out typos to in some cases basically telling you how they'd write it, and second, maybe the forums simply aren't for you. People are usually pretty honest, at least those who give detailed critiques. And they're good at spotting typos. Which we all have. 

You should probably also realize that a lot of people here aren't "fledgling." Some of us have pro-rate sales, some have sold books, some have been writing for thirty years or more. The forum's for people who enter the contest who want to share, which is a tiny fraction of the entries but generally more worthwhile even if as a rule, people are too nice. 

Just a quick note for any Newbies reading, I’ve never gotten any negative comments or feedback from judges on any typos, grammar, or how they would re-write a story. And I know at least 2 of my stories had very small typos, and it killed me finding after the deadline. The judges feedback that I have gotten so far has been very helpful, and even their CON list can be very insightful how to tighten up a story in hindsight even with a 24 hr deadline. Please keep posting your stories on the forum, and I’m excited to be part of the 96 club this round with the most stories posted in a group! Best of luck to everyone, and more importantly, share your hard earned written work!
Sqrlmom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sqrlmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 5:40pm
Different people have different ways of critiquing. It helps when they provide something positive about your work as well as pointing out flaws that you can work on to make it better. Some professional editors are not much different. I had one reject a story by simply writing “Not good.” The next place I sent the same piece to wrote back, “We’re sorry to say we’ve ceased publication, but your story was really good.” Same story. So take it with a grain of salt. If you think you want to do more with it, put it aside and then go back to it with fresh eyes and ask yourself what would make it better. 

I post my entries in the forum but get very little feedback. The feedback I have gotten has generally been very helpful. These are good practice for learning how to write quick and to the point. Don’t get down on yourself. Just keep at it.
SBriggs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SBriggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 6:00pm
If anyone wants to be super harsh and critical, please direct your attention to my story and consider it ripe for the slaughter. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12