NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips for giving feedback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 12:13am
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

Originally posted by poplock10 poplock10 wrote:

In terms of receiving feedback, I often notice the feedback I don't receive.  When I see that my post has 32 views and 2 replies, I take it to mean that people didn't like the story and don't want to hurt my feelings. 
….

So, don't do yourself down about the number of views being more than the number of feedback. There are loads of reasons for this apart from not liking your story.

Instead, go out and comment on other people's stories and they'll be more likely to comment on yours. Don't worry about not being a good enough writer. Bet you're a good enough reader to comment on what you do and don't like. 

For me, the forums are the best part of NYCM. The judges are all very well, but I can't have a conversation with them. I can't ask them why they felt something the way they did; what they think of an alternative idea, or even what the heck they meant by specific feedback. But on the forums, I can have an engaged discussion. I'd hate to think anyone is missing out because they think extra views are people who don't like their writing!

Well said. We definitely can drive up our own “views.” I’m usually on my phone so I don’t see my number of views rn, but I’m guessing it’s much higher than the number of comments I have. Part of this is because every time I click on my own post, I’m driving up the number. I will often click on mine to find a person who left a comment so I can easily find their signature link to return a read, or because as FireHorse notes, it’s sometimes just a quick and easy way to get to the forums via my email. Keep reading and commenting, and you’ll get a lot out of the forums. I like to try and read in genres I imagine would be challenging to write in for me, or see how another group handles my same genre.  Most people return reads, but I understand that life gets in the way and not everyone can, or it takes awhile. But if even half the writers you comment on get back to you, that’s great learning. 

Edited by iress - 26 Nov 2022 at 12:18am
poplock10 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poplock10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 7:00am
I wasn't saying that I wanted more reviews, and I agree with FireHorse that I don't give many (because as I said in my original post, I don't think that my writing skills are good enough for me to critique someone else). I was saying that views without replies could be a data point itself.  I have definitely read some stories that I thought were not good at all, and therefore didn't leave a review.  I'm guessing others have as well.

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 7:31am
[QUOTE=poplock10]I wasn't saying that I wanted more reviews, and I agree with FireHorse that I don't give many (because as I said in my original post, I don't think that my writing skills are good enough for me to critique someone else). I was saying that views without replies could be a data point itself.  I have definitely read some stories that I thought were not good at all, and therefore didn't leave a review.  I'm guessing others have as well.

[/QUOTE

I think you have missed the point. If you don't think you  an offer nits, then just offer praise. Just leave a comment so that receiver will see it and respond.
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 7:59am
Originally posted by poplock10 poplock10 wrote:

I wasn't saying that I wanted more reviews, and I agree with FireHorse that I don't give many (because as I said in my original post, I don't think that my writing skills are good enough for me to critique someone else). I was saying that views without replies could be a data point itself.  I have definitely read some stories that I thought were not good at all, and therefore didn't leave a review.  I'm guessing others have as well.

Hey there! I'll admit that your earlier post made me check out your story, but I never thought you were asking for more reviews. But I'm glad I read it, so consider it a happy side effect. 

To your other point about lots of views without reviews, I rarely leave reviews unless I am returning a read. I don't like giving negative feedback (helpful or not) in a public forum. In beta, I'll give the writer tons of nits and suggestions and point out every possible flaw because the writer can still make changes if they agree with my feedback. But in the forums, I'm often too soft to give harsh feedback. And I worry that even if I am kinder in my wording than others with my constructive criticism, I might hurt people's feelings or crush their spirit. I've received one or two forum comments that devastated me for an hour or two, so I'm probably projecting my sensitivity and insecurities onto everyone else. But I also don't leave feedback for stories that I deem amazing either. But that's where I am as a forum reviewer.

But mostly I don't leave reviews because writing notes is too time-consuming for me. And frankly, I'm mostly reading the stories and the forum feedback for my own pleasure and/or personal improvement. Regardless of the quality, I'm mostly studying them for selfish purposes.  Tongue

Edited by slinkylink - 26 Nov 2022 at 8:06am
FireHorse View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by slinkylink slinkylink wrote:

To your other point about lots of views without reviews, I rarely leave reviews unless I am returning a read. I don't like giving negative feedback (helpful or not) in a public forum. In beta, I'll give the writer tons of nits and suggestions and point out every possible flaw because the writer can still make changes if they agree with my feedback. But in the forums, I'm often too soft to give harsh feedback. And I worry that even if I am kinder in my wording than others with my constructive criticism, I might hurt people's feelings or crush their spirit. I've received one or two forum comments that devastated me for an hour or two, so I'm probably projecting my sensitivity and insecurities onto everyone else. But I also don't leave feedback for stories that I deem amazing either. But that's where I am as a forum reviewer.

But mostly I don't leave reviews because writing notes is too time-consuming for me. And frankly, I'm mostly reading the stories and the forum feedback for my own pleasure and/or personal improvement. Regardless of the quality, I'm mostly studying them for selfish purposes.  Tongue

That's really interesting. Quite the reverse of you, I feel I almost have a duty to provide suggestions/ideas on what could work better. Possibly because I want that myself - a stream of comments saying only positive things helps my ego but not my writing: possibly because I've seen so many people say 'if you rework this' so I don't see submitted entries as necessarily final. BUT I try to give a balance. Point out the good as well. Be clear that suggestions are just suggestions, might be me personally, might be the way I feel right that moment, could be from different cultural perspectives and so on. It's always the author's story, but I start from the concept that they've posted it with a goal of useful and useable feedback, so try to give that.

BTW worst ever feedback I had was a judge. Negative: I don't believe your premise, positive: you incorporated the prompt word well. Nothing I could use or learn from or feel good about in either!
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 4:05pm

Interesting discussion.

When I give feedback, I focus on parts of the story that impress me and garner my attention. Then, I specify the positive and make minor suggestions if warranted. I agree that at the Beta stage, I would be more thorough. However, here the focus is on what I enjoyed and why. Before, I used the sandwich method, but I think in the short pieces, like the 250 and 100, I used to go overboard with feedback resulting in comments that were longer than the mini-narratives. I soon knocked that on the head. Also, I always thank reviewers for reading my work when returning reads.

On a related note, I have been privy to negative, mean-spirited feedback, which serves no purpose in these competitions or fora. The pettiest, nastiest feedback I got has been on one sub-forum. It tried, unsuccessfully, I may add, to demean me and my nationality. It stung for a brief moment until I realised that this person had made a habit of it for some time. I have zero time for these timewasters who seek to bolster themselves by being hateful to others. I laugh off this nonsense and respond with a level of respect that the reviewer, I use the term, advisedly, will never possess. Anonymity has certain advantages that these types of characters thrive on. The individual would never say it to my face. That is certain.

Edited by Nimhathuna - 26 Nov 2022 at 4:28pm
Lulumacmac View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lulumacmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 5:01pm
I think no matter whether we might be more thick skinned or prone to wearing our hearts on our sleeves, putting our stories on here creates a huge feeling of vulnerability for us all (I would imagine!). 

My first ever feedback on here I received was fairly critical, and it floored me a bit. I hadn't ever received peer feedback and hadn't shared any of my work ever before and it was tough to read - if I got that feedback now I'd be like Yes! Totes fair. Brilliant, thank you. I can use that (but also cry a bit into my gin because I am definitely a heart on my sleeve type of person). 

I go into a story with the viewpoint, WOW this person just wrote a story from three random prompts across a few days while juggling life and all that jazz, and that's my starting point. I focus on what I got out of it, what I liked/loved about it. I analyse the choices made and try and give my interpretation of the text. I will ask questions if needed or share ideas if they ever choose to extend out the text, but always at a suggestion - I am no expert and not a judge. 

I do sometimes get a bit swept away with a story and possibly leave too much gushing feedback. It is all genuine, but should probably reign it in a bit - especially as it takes me ages to feedback per story. Soz to anyone who has just received an essay from me!

I would say, getting peer and judge feedback (both positive, constructive and negative) on here has helped me hugely navigate and take on board criticisms or questions, and face my biggest fear of what people might think of me or my work, and this is helping me to grow as a writer. I've definitely had a fair few comments who have not held back, and that is fair enough, but more often than not everyone goes in having your back and wanting the best for you, because we are all in the same boat. I like that about the forum.

Beta is completely different. I want all the crits all of the time! So helpful! 

I will return overdue reads (so sorry!) I promise but I just need to take a break from NYCM for a bit. I will be back! Big love.
CoachLisaB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachLisaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Mrsnetpro Mrsnetpro wrote:

I'm probably not going to post mine because the last time I did, I got no feedback and less than 10 views. The only one that has to like your work is you and if you're happy with it it's their loss. It's just unfortunate that there are thousands of submissions and it's not possible to get to every one of them. 

When I have some free time, I make an effort to look for stories that have been posted but have no comments. For whatever reason, some do slip through the cracks, so I try not to just pile on the ones that already have pages and pages of comments! I hope you do (or did) post!
Will do my best to return reads!
R1-250
Archive
CoachLisaB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachLisaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 7:19pm
This has been such an enlightening thread! Like someone else said, I don't feel like I know enough about fiction writing to give truly constructive feedback (literally the only fiction writing I do is in these challenges and I don't even understand some of the more technical feedback!). And I don't ever want someone to feel crushed or hurt by my comments, because I do agree there's a vulnerability in posting our writing publicly, AND the story has already been submitted. So I will always offer a positive comment. If there's something I don't understand or need clarity on, I might mention that. Otherwise, I want everyone to feel supported, and *I* want to feel supported!
Will do my best to return reads!
R1-250
Archive
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 11:10pm
One thing I have noticed this time about my feedback on the 250-word
is the difference in the readers perceptions in certain areas of the story.
The fact that so many people did not comment on something that some 
did, and not on the same things.... Every reader's mind is different, what
reads fine for one may mean something completely different for another.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>