NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bit.ly and signature issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrayolaSmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bit.ly and signature issues
    Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 6:50pm
Trying to add the bit.ly link to my signature for Rhyming (like I did for MF-100), but it's breaking in the signature. The preview pane is changing the linked text from my story's title to "NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum" in the preview pane, and when I go back to re-edit it, the BBCode has been replaced with the HTML of <a href="https://bit.ly/3yfTsEk" rel="nofollow

I feel like the error is a communication issue between bit.ly and the NYC forums, but I'm not sure how to rectify it. Any of you folk able to walk me through a solution?

Edited by CrayolaSmoker - 04 Oct 2022 at 6:51pm
NERdling View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NERdling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 7:21pm
Looking at your signature, you likely have too many characters with the text, link, and code needed to make it a hyperlink. It craps out at 150 characters. Instead of putting the title in, make the MF100 the hyperlink so you're not wasting any space. 

Edited by NERdling - 04 Oct 2022 at 7:21pm
CrayolaSmoker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrayolaSmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by NERdling NERdling wrote:

Looking at your signature, you likely have too many characters with the text, link, and code needed to make it a hyperlink. It craps out at 150 characters. Instead of putting the title in, make the MF100 the hyperlink so you're not wasting any space. 

Thank you. Getting it under 150 seemed to the trick. (The on-page instructions say "Max 200 characters," which I was careful to stay under.)
swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 8:13pm
It's a secret magic limit for urls that doesn't show up on the list - no idea why. If you don't have a url you can have up to 200 characters
JeanetteMarie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeanetteMarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 9:24pm
How do you create a link yo your story in the signature? I put my url in, but can't make a link go live.

MF100, R1, G39
Real Life Rom-Com
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/r1-gr39-romantic-comedy-breaking-vase-very_topic53172.htm

RSR1,G5 HM1
Ten Minutes to the End of the World
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by JeanetteMarie JeanetteMarie wrote:

How do you create a link yo your story in the signature? I put my url in, but can't make a link go live.

Most likely something to do with the brackets or too many characters. Hope this helps.
swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 3:55am
Are you using the [ ] code? You need to put (without spaces) [ URL=www.yourlink.com ]  link text [ /URL ] around it
And it should end up like this    link text

Also be mindful of the 150 character thing as above, you need to keep your sig below it or it won't work. 
 Post Reply Post Reply